Boyle Abbey in County Roscommon is one of the most impressive Cistercian monastery ruins in Ireland with quite a turbulent history.
(scroll down for german version)
The first Cistercian monks came to Ireland from France in the mid-12th century and founded a monastery at Mellifont in County Louth. A few years later they where looking for land west of the Shannon to branch out and built new houses. It took three attempts before they found a suitable place and were able to acquire land. In AD 1161 they founded their new abbey in Connacht at the banks of the river Boyle under the patronage of the Mac Dermotts, the ruling family of the area. They built their abbey on the site of an old celtic monastery called Ath-na-Laragh, which is believed to have been founded by none other than St. Patrick himself, in the 5th century.
It took almost sixty years to built, the final part of the abbey was completed in AD 1220. One reason might have been that the construction work was sometimes abruptly interrupted: In 1202 the Anglo-Norman knight William de Burgh, self proclaimed "Lord of Connacht" attacked the half-finished abbey and plundered it for three days. The Annals of Lough Cé tell of the devastation: "no structure in the monastery was left without breaking and burning...no part of the buildings of the entire monastery was allowed to the monks and brothers.".
The River Boyle |
In 1227 the Abbot of Boyle took part in the "Conspiracy of Mellifont", a power-struggle between the Anglo-Norman Cistercian General chapter and the Irish abbeys. The Irish abbots lost out and were all removed and replaced. All the Cistercian abbeys in Ireland came under direct control of the mother house in Clairvaux in France.
When Henry VIII passed the Act of Supremacy in 1534 all monasteries were dispossessed. Because of its relative remoteness it took longer until these measures reached Boyle, the abbey managed to survive for another fifty years. In 1584 the abbot of Boyle was asked to renounce his allegiance to Rome, he refused and was executed.
The glass corridor |
During the Tudor Conquest of Ireland the abbey was converted into military barracks and many of the monastic buildings were transformed to house the English soldiers. A defensive gatehouse was built were once the lay brothers quarters were, the cloister arcades were torn down, the lawn inside the cloister garth was removed and the surface cobbled, the cobbling is still there below the grass today.
During the subsequent Nine Year War the abbey-come-garrison was besieged by Hugh O'Neill in his quest to drive the English out of Ireland. He and the other rebel chieftains failed and fled to Spain in what became known as the "Flight of the Earls".
The gatehouse |
The view from the river |
The Abbey of Boyle was given to Sir John King and remained in his family until 1892, when it was declared a National Monument and was handed over to the Commissioners of Public Works, and later the Office of Public Works.
Extensive restoration work was carried out at the abbey from 2007 to 2011, where a glass corridor was built along the north aisle wall to protect the unique blend of Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
At the back of the abbey there are some curious buildings - three little stone houses, uniquely built against the monastery wall - today they are self-catering cottages you might want to rent!
The cottage built against the monastery wall |
german version:
Boyle Abbey in der Grafschaft Roscommon ist eine der beeindruckensten Zisterzienser Klosterruinen Irlands mit einer ziemlich turbulenten Geschichte.
Die ersten Zisterziensermönche kamen Mitte des 12. Jhdts von Frankreich
nach Irland und gründeten ein Kloster in Mellifont in der Grafschaft
Louth. Einige Jahre später suchten sie Grundstücke westlich des Shannons
um neue Ordenshäuser zu gründen. Nach drei Versuchen
fanden sie einen geeigneten Ort und konnten Ländereien erwerben. Anno
1161 gründeten sie ihre neue Abtei in Connacht an den Ufern des Boyle
Flusses mit Unterstützung der MacDermotts, der herrschenden Familie der Region. Sie erbauten ihre Abtei am Standort eines frühen irischen
Klosters, das angeblich von keinem geringerem als dem Hl. Patrick
persönlich hier im 5. Jhdt. gegründet wurde.
Es dauerte fast sechzig Jahre die Abtei zu bauen, die letzten Teile
des Klosters wurden im Jahre 1220 fertig gestellt. Unter anderem auch
deshalb weil die Bauarbeiten ab und zu abrupt unterbrochen wurden: Im
Jahr 1202 attakierte der anglo-normannische Ritter William de Burgh,
selbsternannter "Lord über Connacht" das halb fertige Kloster und
plüderte es drei Tage lang. Die Annalen des Lough Cé erzählen von der
Zerstörung: "keine Mauer des Klosters blieb verschont von Bruch und
Feuer...kein Teil der Gebäude des gesamten Klosters blieb den Mönchen
und Brüdern übrig.".
Anno 1227 beteiligte sich der Abt von Boyle an der "Verschwörung von
Mellifont", ein Machtkampf zwischen dem anglo-normannischen
Zisterzienser Mutterhaus und den Abteien in Irland. Die irischen Äbte
verloren und wurden alle entfernt und ersetzt. Alle Zistenzienserklöster
in Irland unterstanden von nun ab direkt dem Mutterhaus in Clairvaux in
Frankreich.
Als Heinrich VIII anno 1534 den Suprematsakt verabschiedete, der ihn
zum Oberhaupt der englischen Kirche machte, wurden alle Klöster
enteignet. Wegen seiner relativen Abgeschiedenheit dauerte es etwas
länger bis diese Maßnahme Boyle erreichte, die Abtei schaffte es noch
fast fünfzig Jahre weiter zu bestehen. Im Jahre 1584 sollte der Abt von
Boyle seiner Treue zur römischen Kirche abschwören, er weigerte sich und
wurde in Dublin hingerichtet.
Während der Tudor Eroberung
Irlands wurde die Abtei in eine Militärkaserne umgewandelt und viele der
Klostergebäude wurden umgebaut, um die englischen Soldaten
unterzubringen. Ein Torhaus wurde erbaut wo einst die Laienbrüder
wohnten, die Kreuzgänge wurden niedergerissen, der Rasen des
Kreuzganghofes wurde entfernt und der Platz geflastert, die alten
Pflastersteine sind sogar heute noch unter dem Rasen vorhanden.
Während
dem darauffolgenden "Neunjährigen Krieg" wurde die Abtei/Kaserne von
Hugh O'Neill belagert, als er versuchte die englischen Besatzer aus
Irland zu vertreiben. Er und andere rebellierende Clanfürsten
scheiterten und mußten nach Spanien flüchten, was als die "Flucht der
Fürsten" in die Irische Geschichte einging.
Die Abtei von Boyle wurde an Sir John King übergeben und blieb in
seiner Familie bis 1892, als sie zum Nationalen Denkmal ernannt und
unter die Obhut der Denkmalkommission, später das Denkmalamt, gestellt
wurde.
Aufwendige Restorationsarbeiten wurden von 2007 bis 2011
ausgeführt, wobei auch ein Glaskorridor entlang des nördlichen
Kirchengangs errichtet wurde, der die einzigartige Mixtur aus
romanischer und gothischer Bauweise schützen soll.
An der
Rückseite der Abtei gibt es noch eine Kuriosität zu bewundern: Drei
kleine cottages wurden direkt an die Klostermauer angebaut, heute sind
sie Ferienhäuser, die man mieten kann!
This blog is really good. I appreciate your hard work in writing this blog. It helped me lot to increase my knowledge.
ReplyDeletearrow on swanston