31 Oct 2014

Magical Places: The seven churches of Glendalough, Co. Wicklow

The valley of Glendalough is a raving beauty in the heart of the Wicklow mountains, an enchanted and spellbinding place. Scattered throughout the valley are the remains of seven early medieval churches and one of the most important monastic sites of Ireland. 


Glendalough means 'valley of the two lakes' and the valley and the lakes were formed by retreating glaciers during the last Ice Age. It lies in the heart of the Wicklow mountains and is a very tranquil and scenic spot with a rich wildlife - but it's best known for the remains of its early medieval monastic site. Glendalough was once one of the most important and influential religious centres in all of Ireland. 
Some of the seven churches of the Glendalough valley are found within the monastic city, some outside the original enclosure, but all within walking distance.
The monastery was founded by St. Kevin, who came to the valley in the 6th century. The valley was already considered a sacred place during celtic times and Kevin came here in search of spiritual guidance. He is said to 'have lived in the hollow of a tree' for seven years. Word got around and the hermit soon attracted followers. The first settlement was built on the site of Temple-na-Skellig on the shores of the Upper Lake. When the community grew St. Kevin moved to the area near the Lower Lake and built a monastery at the present site. What was then a small community with wooden huts and churches, flourished over the next 800 years into an ecclesiastic city. Glendalough overcame raids, attacks and fires, until ultimately it was demolished by english forces in 1398.

The Lower Lake

St. Kevin's Church
St. Kevin's church is probably the best-known of the seven churches in the Glendalough valley. Together with the Round Tower it's also the most photographed building of the monastic settlement. This small church was built in the 1100s and is dedicated to St. Kevin, the founder of the monastery. It was built on the site of an earlier wooden structure. The nave was constructed first, the chancel and sacristy were added about a century later. Only the foundation of the chancel survives, it is not clear when it collapsed. A drawing from the 18th century in the Royal Irish Academy shows the church with the chancel still intact.
The church is popularly known as 'St. Kevin's kitchen' because of its integrated miniature Round Tower that somewhat resembles a chimney. This integrated belfry is only one of two surviving examples in Ireland, the other being Temple Finghin with MacCarthy's Tower in the Monastic City of Clonmacnoise.  

St. Kevin's Church

St. Kieran's Church
Just opposite St. Kevin's kitchen you'll find the foundation walls of St. Kieran's Church. The remains of this nave-and-chancel church were not discovered until 1875 underneath an earthen mound. Here's another connection to Clonmacnoise: the two settlements had very close ties and the church is dedicated to St. Kieran, the founder of Ireland's other major monastic City. St. Kieran and St. Kevin were contemporaries and apparently also very good friends. A popular legend tells the story of how Kevin travelled to Co. Offaly to visit Kieran in Clonmacnoise. But alas! upon his arrival he learnt that Kieran had died of the yellow plague only days before. During the wake St. Kieran briefly came back to life so he could bid farewell to his friend Kevin. 

The remains of St. Kieran's Church
St. Mary's Church
This church is also known as 'Our Lady's Church' and is one of the earliest churches in the valley. It dates from the 10th century and was built separately outside the once walled enclosure. It was probably built for the nuns of the community and exclusively used by women. The church has a few interesting and unusual features, like an x-shaped cross incised on the underside of the massive lintel stone of the west doorway and two carved heads above the east window, as well as a bullaun stone built into the base of the altar.

St. Mary's

Reefert Church
On the other side of the valley, on an idyllic spot near the Upper Lake, surrounded by dense woodland you'll find Reefert Church. The simple nave-and-chancel church was built around 1100 A.D. The name 'Reefert' derives from the Irish 'Righ Fearta' meaning 'burial place of the kings' - the chiefs of the local O'Toole and O'Byrne clans found their final resting place here. Some historians even believe that St. Kevin himself lies buried here. The ancient graveyard with its weathered headstones and celtic crosses oozes atmosphere and a solemn quietude takes hold, when you spend a little time here.
Above the church, further up the hill and overlooking the lake, lie the remains of an hermitage known as  'St. Kevin's cell'. Only the foundation stones survive, but it's believed to have been a beehive hut, similar to the ones found on Skellig Michael and the Dingle peninsula in Co. Kerry.

Reefert's Church
St. Kevin's cell

This church at the foot of a steep cliff on the south shore of the Upper Lake stands on the site of the very first settlement St. Kevin and his disciples built. The name Temple-na-Skellig means 'church of the rock' and was built in the 11th or 12th century. The church can only be accessed by boat and sits directly underneath 'St. Kevin's Bed' - a man-made cave, where St. Kevin is believed to have spent the seasons of lent in complete seclusion. Excavations in the late 1950s revealed a raised platform enclosed by a stone wall next to the church where remains of wattle huts and a wooden structure were found. Unfortunately, the site is no longer accessible to the public (there was a boat service until the 1970s), but you can view it from the opposite shore of the Upper Lake.

Site of Temple-na-Skellig on the shores of the Upper Lake

St. Kevin's Bed

 Trinity Church
Trinity Church lies a little hidden east of the Monastic City, on the road to Laragh. It's a simple nave-and-chancel church, built around the 1100s. This church also had an integrated belfry tower, just like St. Kevin's Church, but it collapsed during a storm in 1818. The site is very serene, with wonderful views of the Glendalough valley and the surrounding mountains. 
Trinity Church

St. Saviour's Priory
The Priory is located about 1 kilometre east from the main monastic site, at the foot of  Derrybawn mountain and on the banks of the Glendasan River. It was founded in the mid 12th century by Lawrence O'Toole, abbot of Glendalough and later archbishop of Dublin. It is the most recent of the seven churches built in the valley and served as a priory for Augustinian monks.
The romanesque chancel arch and the windows are decorated with elaborate carvings, like two intertwined birds, a serpent and other animal figures, as well as spirals, chevrons and crosses.
The place by the river is very scenic and quiet. Of all the churches and monuments in the valley this one is probably the least visited, making it an ideal spot for a little break.  
St. Saviour's
Apart from the seven churches there are also a number of other important historical monuments in the Glendalough Valley. 
First and foremost, there's Glendalough's most striking and iconic building - the Round Tower. The 30 metres high bell-tower was a visible landmark for visitors and pilgrims, but also served as a store house and place of refuge during an attack. The entrance is 3.5 metres from the ground and was reached by ladder. Inside, the tower had six timber floors with steep ladders leading to the top.

The Round Tower

The monastic city was originally enclosed by a circular wall, of which not many traces survive.
The settlement was entered through a two-storey gate, with the gatekeeper's living quarters on the upper floor. There's an interesting example of a Sanctuary Cross inscribed on the right hand side just behind the arched gateway. It was a visual marker for everyone stepping through the gate seeking refuge within the monastery walls. 

The Gate

The Sanctuary Stone

The Cathedral is the largest ecclesiastical building within the monastic city. It was built in multiple phases from the 10th to the 13th century. Historians believe some of the stones were re-used from an earlier smaller church on the site. The oldest part is the nave; the chancel and the sacristy were added in the late 12th or early 13th century. It was dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, but in 1214 A.D. officially ceased to be recognised as a Cathedral when the diocese of  Dublin took over Glendalough. In its heyday it must have been an impressive building. Inside there are four solid stone columns in each corner, which supported the timber roof beams. The interior includes a small cupboard made out of stone that would have been used to store the sacred vessels for mass and other precious objects.
In the guide book it says that the Cathedral floor was later used as a burial ground and the interior of the church was once covered in tombstones. Most of these have been removed, but it is advised to tread gently, as Wicklow ghosts are easily offended!

Tread carefully in the Cathedral!

 Outside the Cathedral stands St. Kevin's Cross, an almost four metre high but relatively plain Celtic Cross that served as a pilgrimage and boundary cross. Local tradition has it that if you are able to wrap your arms around the entire width of the cross and touch your fingertips, a wish will be granted.

St. Kevin's Cross

The 'Priest's House' is small Romanesque building opposite the Cathedral with the remains of an ornate arch. It's the burial place for many of the priests of Glendalough, but it's original purpose is believed to have been that of a shrine, housing the relics of St. Kevin himself.

The Priest's House

Glendalough is a favourite destination for day-trippers from Dublin and can sometimes be pretty busy, especially during the summer months. To fully appreciate and experience the beauty and special atmosphere of the valley I would recommend to book yourself into the hotel, hostel or one of the B&B's and give yourself a few days to explore the monastic site and the many hiking trails of the Wicklow Mountains!

The Glendalough Valley

 german version:

Das Tal von Glendalough ist eine wilde Schönheit im Herzen der Wicklow Berge, ein verzauberter und faszinierender Ort. Im Tal verstreut liegen die Überreste von sieben früh-mittelalterlichen Kirchen und eine der wichtigsten Klosteranlagen Irlands.

Glendalough bedeutet 'Tal der zwei Seen', das Tal und die Seen wurden während der letzten Eiszeit aus zurückweichenden Gletschern geformt. Es liegt im Wicklow Nationalpark und ist ein sehr ruhiger und  malerischer Ort mit einer artenreichen Tier- und Pflanzenwelt - aber das Tal ist am bekanntesten für die Überreste der früh-mittelalterlichen Klosteranlage. Glendalough war einst eines der wichtigsten und einflußreichsten religiösen Zentren in ganz Irland.
Einige der sieben Kirchen von Glendalough liegen innerhalb der Klosterstadt, einige außerhalb der ursprünglichen Anlage, aber alle sind nur einen kurzen Spaziergang voneinander entfernt.
Das Kloster wurde vom Hl. Kevin gegründet, der im 6. Jhdt. in dieses Tal kam. Das Tal war schon zu keltischen Zeiten ein geweihter Ort und Kevin kam hierher, um sich auf eine spirituelle Sinnsuche zu begeben. Es wird erzählt, er hätte sieben Jahre lang 'in einem hohlen Baum' gelebt. Das sprach sich herum und der Einsiedler lockte bald Anhänger an. Die erste kleine Siedlung wurde am Ufer des Upper Lake, am späteren Standort des Temple-na-Skellig erbaut. Als die Gemeinschaft immer größer wurde, zog Kevin mit seinen Anhängern auf das Gelände oberhalb des Lower Lakes und erbaute dort das erste Kloster. Was als kleine Gemeinde mit hölzenen Hütten und Kirchen begann, wuchs in den nächsten 800 Jahren zu einer Klosterstadt heran. Glendalough überstand Plünderungen, Angriffe und Brandschatzungen, bis es 1398 endgültig von englischen Truppen zerstört wurde.

St. Kevin's Church
Die Kirche des Hl. Kevin ist wahrscheinlich die bekannteste der sieben Kirchen im Tal von Glendalough. Mit dem Rundturm ist es auch das meist fotografierte Gebäude der Klosterstadt. Diese kleine Kirche wurde in den 1100er Jahren erbaut und ist dem Hl. Kevin, dem Begründer des Klosters, gewidmet. Sie wurde am Standort einer früheren hölzernen Kirche erbaut. Das Kirchenschiff wurde zuerst gebaut, der Chor und die Sakristei kamen ca. ein Jahrhundert später dazu. Vom Altarraum gibt es nur mehr das Fundament, es ist nicht klar, wann das Gebäude einstürzte. Eine Zeichnung aus dem 18. Jhdt. in der Royal Irish Academy zeigt die Kirche mit dem Altarraum noch intakt. 
Die Kirche wird im Volksmund 'St. Kevin's Küche' genannt, weil der integrierte Miniatur Rundturm ein wenig aussieht wie ein Rauchfang.  Der integrierte Glockenturm ist nur einer von insgesamt zwei noch existierenden Exemplaren in Irland, der andere ist Temple Finghin mit dem McCarthy Turm in der Klosterstadt Clonmacnoise.

St. Kieran's Church
Gegenüber der Kirche des Hl. Kevin befinden sich die Grundmauern der Kirche des Hl. Kieran. Die Überreste dieser Steinkirche wurden erst im Jahre 1875 unter einem Erdhügel entdeckt. Hier gibt es noch eine Verbindung zu Clonmacnoise: die zwei Klosteranlagen hatten enge Beziehungen und diese Kirche ist dem Hl. Kieran, dem Begründer dieser anderen wichtigen Klosterstadt Irlands gewidmet. Der Hl. Kevin und der Hl. Kieran waren Zeitgenossen und sollen auch gute Freunde gewesen sein. Eine alte Legende erzählt die Geschichte als der Hl. Kevin nach Clonmacnoise in der Grafschaft Offaly reiste, um seinen Freund zu besuchen. Als er dort ankam mußte er erfahren, daß der Hl. Kieran nur Tage zuvor am Gelbfieber verstorben war. Während der Totenwache erwachte Kieran wieder zum Leben, um sich von seinem Freund Kevin zu verabschieden.

St. Mary's Church
Diese Kirche der Hl. Maria wird auch 'Kirche unserer lieben Frau' genannt und ist eine der frühesten Kirchen im Tal. Sie stammt aus dem 10. Jhdt. und wurde abseits der einst ummauerten Klosteranlage erbaut. Sie wurde wahrscheinlich für die Nonnen der Klostergemeinschaft gebaut und ausschließlich von Frauen besucht. Die Kirche hat einige interessante und ungewöhnliche Merkmale, wie ein graviertes x-förmiges Schrägkreuz an der Unterseite des Türsturzes des Westportals und zwei herausgearbeitete Köpfe über dem Ostfenster, sowie einen Bullaun-Stein am Fuße des Altars. 

Reefert Church
Am gegenüberliegenden Ende des Tales, an einem idyllischen Fleckchen nahe dem Upper Lake, umgeben von dichtem Wald findet man die Reefert Kirche. Diese einfache Kirche mit Kirchenschiff und Chor wurde um 1100 n.Chr. gebaut. Der Name 'Reefert' ist eine Ableitung aus dem Irischen 'Righ Fearta', was soviel wie 'Grabstätte der Könige' bedeutet. Die Stammesfürsten der örtlichen O'Toole und O'Byrne Clans fanden hier ihre letzte Ruhestätte. Manche Historiker nehmen sogar an, daß der Hl. Kevin selbst hier begraben liegt. Der alte Friedhof mit den stark verwitterten Grabsteinen und Keltenkreuzen ist sehr stimmungsvoll und wenn man ein wenig Zeit hier verbringt, stellt sich eine feierliche Stille ein.
Auf dem Hügel oberhalb der Kirche und mit Blick über den See, liegen die Überreste einer kleinen Einsiedelei, genannt 'St. Kevin's Cell'. Es sind nur mehr die Fundamente zu sehen, aber es wird angenommen, daß es eine sogenannte Bienenkorb-Hütte war, ähnlich wie die Mönchszellen auf Skellig Michael und der Dingle Halbinsel in der Grafschaft Kerry. 

Diese Kirche am Fuße eines steilen Abhangs am südlichen Ufer des Upper Lake steht an der Stelle, an der sich der Hl. Kevin und seine Jünger zuerst niederließen. Der Name bedeutet 'Felsenkirche' und sie wurde im 11. oder 12. Jhdt. erbaut. Die Kirche kann nur per Boot erreicht werden und liegt direkt unterhalb des 'St. Kevin's Bett' - einer künstlich angelegten Höhle, in der der Hl. Kevin die Fastenzeiten in völliger Abgeschiedenheit verbracht haben soll. Ausgrabungen in den späten 1950er Jahren legten eine erhöhte Ebene neben der Kirche frei, auf der sich Überreste von Flechtwerkhütten und Holzstrukturen fanden.
Leider ist die Anlage für die Öffentlichkeit nicht mehr zugänglich (es gab ein Boot-Service bis in die 1970er Jahre), aber man hat einen guten Blick vom gegenüberliegenden Seeufer.

Trinity Church
Die Dreifaltigkeitskirche liegt etwas versteckt östlich der Klosterstadt, an der Straße nach Laragh. Es ist eine einfache Steinkirche mit Kirchenchiff und Chor, erbaut ca. 1100 n. Chr. Diese Kirche hatte auch einen integrierten Glockenturm, so wie die Kirche des Hl. Kevin, aber er stürzte anno 1818 während eines Sturms ein. Der Platz ist sehr ruhig und bietet einen wunderbaren Ausblick über das Glendalough Tal und die umliegenden Berge.

St. Saviour's Priory
Das Priorat liegt ca. einen Kilometer östlich von der Haupt-Klosteranlage entfernt, am Fuße des Derrybawn Berges und am Ufer des Flusses Glendasan.  Es wurde Mitte des 12. Jhdts. vom Abt von Glendalough und späteren Erzbischof von Dublin, Lawrence O'Toole gegründet. Sie ist die letzte der sieben Kirchen, die im Tal gebaut wurden und diente als Priorat für die Augustinermönche.
Der romanische Chorbogen und die Fensterbögen sind mit reichen Gravuren verziert, wie zwei ineinander verschlungene Vögel, eine Schlange und andere Tierbilder, aber auch Spiralen, Zick-zack Muster und Kreuze.
Der Standort am Fluß ist sehr malerisch und ruhig. Von allen Kirchen und Bauwerken im Tal ist dieser Ort der wahrscheinlich am wenigsten besuchte - ein idealen Platz für eine kleine Pause.

Abgesehen von den sieben Kirchen gibt es noch weitere wichtige historische Monumente im schönen Tal von Glendalough. 
Allen voran das eindrucksvollste und bekannteste Bauwerk im Tal - der Rundturm. Der 30 Meter hohe Glockenturm diente als weithin sichtbarer Orientierungspunkt für Besucher und Pilger, aber auch als Speicher und Rückzugsort bei Angriffen. Der Eingang liegt 3,5 Meter über dem Boden, erreichbar nur über eine Leiter, die bei Bedarf eingeholt werden konnte. Innen verbanden steile Leitern insgesamt sechs Stockwerke aus Holz.

Die Klosteranlage wurde ursprünglich von einer Mauer umgeben, von der es leider nicht mehr viele Spuren gibt. Die Siedlung wurde durch ein zweistöckiges doppeltes Rundportal betreten, mit dem Pförtnerquartier  im oberen Stock. Rechts hinter dem Torbogen findet sich ein interessantes Exemplar eines in den Stein gemeißeltes Schutzkreuzes, ein sichtbares Zeichen für alle, die hinter den Klostermauern Zuflucht suchten.

Die Kathedrale ist das größte Kirchengebäude innerhalb der Klosterstadt. Sie wurde in mehreren Bauphasen vom 10. bis zum 13. Jhdt errichtet. Historiker nehmen an, daß einige der Bausteine von einer früheren kleineren Kirche an diesem Standort stammen. Der älteste Teil ist das Kirchenschiff, der Chor und die Sakristei wurden im 12. oder frühen 13. Jhdt. angebaut. Sie wurde dem Hl. Peter und Hl. Paul gewidmet, aber anno 1214 wurde ihr der offizielle Status einer Kathedrale aberkannt, als Glenadalough in die Dubliner Diozöse eingegliedert wurde. In ihren Hochzeiten muß die Kathedrale ein beeindruckendes Gebäude gewesen sein. Im Innenraum stehen vier Steinsäulen in jeder Ecke, die einst die hölzenen Dachbalken getragen haben. Unter den Innenausstattung findet sich auch ein Regal aus Stein, in dem geweihte Trinkgefäße für die Messe und andere Kostbarkeiten aufbewahrt wurden.
Im Begleitheft der Besucherinformation steht geschrieben, daß der Boden der Kathedrale einst als Bestattungsort verwendet wurde und übersät von Grabsteinen war. Die meisten wurden mittlerweile entfernt, aber es wird empfohlen auf Zehenspitzen durch die Kathedrale zu gehen, da die Geister aus Wicklow schnell beleidigt sind!

Außerhalb der Kathedrale steht das St. Kevin's Kreuz, ein fast vier Meter hohes, aber relativ einfaches keltischen Kreuz, das als Grenz- und/oder Pilgerkreuz diente. Einer alten Tradition zufolge wird jedem, der es schafft seine Arme um die breiteste Stelle des Kreuzes zu schlingen und sich dabei die Fingerspitzen noch berühren, ein Wunsch erfüllt. 
Das 'Haus der Priester' ist ein kleines romanischen Gebäude gegenüber der Kathedrale mit den Überresten eines reich verzierten Bogens. Es ist die Grabstätte vieler Priester aus Glendalough, aber es könnte ursprünglich ein Schrein für die Relikte des Hl. Kevins gewesen sein.

Glendalough ist ein beliebtes Ziel für Tagesausflügler aus Dublin und kann manchmal sehr überlaufen sein, vor allem in den Sommermonaten. Um die Schönheit und besondere Stimmung des Tales richtig zu erleben und zu schätzen, empfehle ich unbedingt ein paar Tage dort zu verbringen, sich in das Hotel, die Jugendherberge oder in eine der Bed and Breakfast Pensionen einzuquartieren und das Kloster und die vielen Wanderwege in den Wicklow Bergen zu erkunden!


  1. The first picture looks like an oil painting. Stunning :)