31 Dec 2015

Magical Places: Dunlough Castle, Three Castle Head, Co. Cork

It's hard to imagine a more remote and dramatic setting for a fortress: Dunlough Castle sits perched on the edge of a cliff at the most northerly tip of the Mizen Peninsula in County Cork.




This is a very special place: The ruins of Dunlough Castle stand next to a small lake on top of a cliff with stupendous views in all directions over Dunlough Bay, Mizen Head and Dunmanus Bay. The ruins seem weirdly out of place, but at the same time add some mystery to the scenery. Not much is known about the castle that was built here more than 800 years ago.
For centuries West Cork was ruled by the O'Mahoney Clan, members of the royal Eóghanacht Raithlind Dynasty of South Munster. Their chief rivals were the McCarthy's of Tipperary who expanded their territory into Cork in the early 12th century.
When the Normans invaded Ireland in the second half of the 12th century, the O'Mahoney's were gradually pushed back further south to the Mizen Peninsula.



Not long after the Norman Invasion the O'Mahoneys started to built defensive tower houses all along the coastline. They often chose the sites of ancient prehistoric promontory forts for their string of strongholds. These 'duns' (forts) served as lookout posts for unexpected 'visitors' and provided refuge for the local population in case of a raid.
According to the 'Annals of Inisfallen' the chieftain Donagh na Aimrice built the first O'Mahoney castle in 1207 at Dun Lough - the fort of the lake - of what is now known as Three Castle Head. The location may seem isolated and out of the way by today's standards, but back then it was strategically ingenious: the headland with its natural barriers was practically impenetrable and with sweeping views of the coast from Mizen Head to the Beara Peninsula all sea traffic could be closely monitored.



The castle consists of three square towers connected by a curtain wall that runs from one edge of the cliff to the other and also encloses the lake.  On the eastern shore it acts as a dam to prevent the water from pouring down into Dunmanus Bay. 
The west tower is the largest of the three and seems to have been the main residential tower house. The eastern keep was the gate tower, and the middle keep was probably used for storage.
For over 400 years the O'Mahoney's kept Dunlough, there are no records of the castle ever being attacked or besieged. In 1627 the O'Mahoney lands were confiscated by the English Crown. 




Many ghostly legends surround the castle: A white lady is supposed to haunt the castle and lake - whoever encounters her will soon die. The story goes back to a certain Kean Mahony, who apparently met the Lady and then died suddenly and unexpected.

Another story tells of the O'Donohue's, the last family that lived at Three Castle Head: legend has it that all of them died violently, they were either murdered or committed suicide. A drop of blood can be seen dropping  from the walls of the main tower every day in commemoration of their deaths.
It's easy to believe these stories if you visit Three Castle Head on a foggy day, but even in sunny weather the place has an eerie feel to it - hauntingly beautiful in its isolation and stillness.




german version:
 

Es ist schwer sich einen abgeschiedeneren und dramatischeren Ort für eine Burg vorzustellen: die Dunlough Festung sitzt am Rande der Klippen an der nördlichsten Spitze der Mizen Halbinsel in der Grafschaft Cork.

 


Dies ist ein ganz besonderer Platz: Die Ruine der Dunlough Burg stehen neben einem kleinen See  auf der Klippe mit einem spektakulärem Rundblick über die Bucht von Dunlough, Mizen Head und der Dunmanus Bucht. Die Ruine scheint irgendwie fehl am Platz, aber sie verleiht dem Ort auch etwas mystisches. Viel ist nicht bekannt über die Burg, die hier vor über 800 Jahren erbaut wurde.
Jahrhundertelang herrschte in West Cork der O'Mahoney Clan, Mitlieder der königlichen Eóghanachta Raithlind Dynastie der Provinz Süd Munster. Ihre Hauptrivalen waren die McCarthy's aus Tipperary, die ihre Ländereien im 12. Jhdt bis nach Cork ausdehnten.
Als die Normannen in der zweiten Hälfte des 12. Jahrhunderts in Irland einfielen, wurden die O'Mahoneys weiter in den Süden bis zur Mizen Halbinsel gedrängt.


Nicht lange nach der Invasion der Normannen begannen die O'Mahoneys Verteidigungsburgen entlang der Küste zu erbauen. Als Standort für ihre Festungen wählten sie oft alte prehistorische Ringwälle. Diese 'Duns' (Forts) wurden im Bronze Zeitalter erbaut und dienten als Wachposten für unerwartete 'Besucher' und als Zuflucht für die örtliche Bevölkerung im Falle eines Angriffs.
Laut den 'Annalen von Inisfallen' ließ der Stammesführer Donagh na Aimrice die erste O'Mahoney Burg anno 1207 hier auf Dun Lough - dem Fort am See - jetzt als 'Three Castle Head' bekannt, erbauen. Der Standort mag aus heutiger Sicht isoliert und abgeschieden wirken, aber damals war er strategisch genial: die Landzunge mit ihren natürlichen Barrieren was praktisch uneinnehmbar und die Sicht entlang der Küste von Mizen Head bis zur Beara Halbinsel ermöglichten die Überwachung sämtlichen Schiffsverkehrs.



Die Festung besteht aus drei Türmen, verbunden durch eine Mauer, die von einem Ende der Klippen zum anderen entlang des Sees verläuft. Am östlichen Ende fungiert die Mauer als Damm, damit das Wasser nicht in die Dunmanus Bucht hinunter stürzt. 
Der westliche Turm ist der größte der drei und war höchstwahrscheinlich der Wohnturm. Der östliche Burgfried war der Torturm und der mittlere wurde wahrscheinlich als Vorratslager verwendet. 
Die O'Mahoney's lebten hier über 400 Jahre und es gibt keine Aufzeichnungen von Attacken oder Belagerungen der Burg. Anno 1627 wurden schließlich alle Ländereien der O'Mahoney's von der englischen Krone konfisziert.



 Es gibt einige Geistergeschichten über die Burg: eine weiße Dame soll hier herumspuken und jeder, der ihr begegnet soll bald darauf sterben. Die Geschichte geht zurück auf einen Kean Mahony, der die Dame angeblich getroffen und kurz darauf unerwartet und plötzlich verstorben sein soll. 
Eine andere Geschichte erzählt von den O'Donohues, den letzten Bewohnern der Burg: der Sage nach sind sie alle eines gewaltsamen Todes gestorben, sie wurden entweder ermordet oder begangen Selbstmord. Ein Tropfen Blut soll jeden Tag von den Mauern des Hauptturms tropfen, um an sie zu erinnern.
Es ist leicht solche Spukgeschichten zu glauben, wenn man Three Castle Head an einem nebligen Tag besucht, aber sogar wenn die Sonne scheint ist der Ort ein bisschen unheimlich - gespenstisch schön in seiner Isolation und Stille.




No comments:

Post a Comment