31 May 2014

Magical Places: The Fairy Hill, Carbury, Co. Kildare

Carbury Hill in County Kildare is one of the most important sites in Irish Mythology and history. The prominent hill overlooking the surrounding countryside is also called the "Sidh Neachtain" or "the Fairy Mound of Neachtain", the royal residence of Neachtain, the King of Leinster.



(scroll down for german version)

According to the Mythological Cycle in the "Annals of the Four Masters", Neachtain was a semi-god and leader of the mythological Tuatha de Danann. In 45 AD he became King of Leinster for one year. 
He and his brothers were the keepers of the well at the foot of the hill, which is associated with the gift of wisdom. When Neachtain married the goddess Boann (or Bóinn), she wanted to see the sacred well, but was never allowed to visit it, since Neachtain had to keep the location a secret. One day Boann followed him and when she found the well she allowed herself a taste from the forbidden waters. The well burst up, surging round the hill and through the country, all the way out to the Irish Sea. According to legend, the curious Boann was swept along with the rushing waters and drowned, and thus the River Boyne - an embodiment of her spirit - was created.

Fairy Hill

The River Boyne

The prominent hill just north of the village of Carbury was inhabited since the Bronze Age. Although partly silted up, at least two barrows from that time can still be found on top of the hill.
The ancient settlement was close to the old strategic road called Eiscar Riada or Slí Mhor (the "High Road"), which connected the east of Ireland with the River Shannon and the west. The Fairy Hill was in the middle of the Cairbre Uí Chiardha territory, ruled by the Ò Ciardha Sept of the Southern O'Neill Clan. They built a stronghold on top of the hill, overlooking the surrounding area.
One of the barrows on the hill
Ancient traces of former dwellings
The remains of Carbury Castle
After the Norman invasion of Ireland in the 12th century, the new Lord of Leinster, Richard de Clare a.k.a. Strongbow, granted the area to the welsh nobleman and knight Meiler Fitzhenry. Fitzhenry was the son of Henry Fitzhenry, the illegitimate son of King Henry I. of England.
In the late 14th century the area was acquired by the Norman Lords de Berminghem, who turned the motte into a grand castle. 

The interior of the castle ruins


In the early 16th century native Irish Clans managed to take back the territory from the Norman conquerors for a while, but in 1554 the castle on the hill again changed ownership. It was acquired by Sir Henry Colley, a member of the Colley-Wellesly  family - the patrilinear ancestors of no other than Arthur Wellesly, the Duke of Wellington of military fame. 
The Colleys largely extended the castle and also built a small walled graveyard with a small chapel and a mausoleum just underneath their mansion.
During the Irish Rebellion in the year 1798 the hill was used as an important outlook and campsite for the United Irishmen.

The walled graveyard
View from the Castle window
The Mausoleum and the remains of Teampall Do-Ath, the chapel

Today the source of the river Boyne at the foot of the hill is known as Trinity Well and is located within the grounds of Newberry Hall, a private property. Once a year, on the Carbury Pattern Day in June, mass is held at Trinity Well and a Fair takes place on the grounds of Newberry Hall.

Carbury Hill is a quiet and gentle place, surrounded by nothing but grazing cattle and sheep. The little graveyard with its walls looks both incredibly beautiful and oddly out of place in the middle of the sweeping views and green pasture lands. When you sit on top of the hill on a clear day, you can see as far as the neighbouring Counties Offaly and Meath and the Bog of Allen. You get an incredible sense of the history and the importance of this place and the role it played in the past, both in Irish Mythology and the history of the country.




german version:

Carbury Hill in der Grafschaft Kildare ist eine der wichtigsten Plätze der Irischen Mythologie und Geschichte. Der markante Hügel wird auch "Sidh Neachtain" oder "Neachtain's Feenhügel" genannt, die königliche Residenz von Neachtain, dem König von Leinster. 

 


Dem Mythologischen Zirkel in den "Annalen der Vier Meister" zufolge, war Neachtain ein Halbgott und Führer des mythologischen Volkes Tuatha de Danann. Im Jahre 45 n. Chr. wurde er für ein Jahr zum König von Leinster ernannt. 
Er und seine Brüder waren die Hüter der Quelle am Fuße des Hügels, die mit der Gabe der Weisheit verbunden wurde. Als Neachtain die Göttin Boann (oder Bóinn) ehelichte, wollte sie unbedingt die heilige Quelle sehen. Doch Neachtain erlaubte ihr nie die Quelle zu besuchen, da der genaue Ort ein Geheimnis bleiben mußte. Eines Tages folgte Boann heimlich ihrem Mann und als sie die Quelle schließlich fand, genehmigte sie sich einen Schluck des verboteten Wassers.  Die Quelle schwoll an und das Wasser sprudelte hervor, strömte um den Hügel und flutete durchs Land bis zur Irischen See. Laut Legende wurde Boann von den Wassermassen mitgerissen und ertrank, und so wurde der Fluß Boyne - als Verkörperung ihres Geistes - geboren.


Der markante Hügel nördlich des Dorfes Carbury wurde schon zur Bronzezeit besiedelt. Obwohl teilweise versandet, finden sich noch mindestens zwei Hügelgräber jener Epoche auf dem Hügel.
Die alte Siedlung lag in der Nähe der strategisch wichtigen Route namens Eiscar Riada oder Slí Mhor (Hochstraße), die den Osten Irlands mit dem Shannon und dem Westen verband. Der Feenhügel lag inmitten des Cairbre Ui Chiardha Gebietes, beherrscht von der Ó Ciardha Septe des südlichen O`Neill Clans. Sie bauten eine Festung auf dem Hügel, der die umliegende Landschaft überblickte.


Nach der normannischen Invasion Irlands im 12. Jhdt. überließ der neue Lord von Leinster, Richard de Clare, auch bekannt als Strongbow, das Gebiet dem walisischen Edelmann und Ritter Meiler Fitzhenry. Fitzhenry war der Sohn von Henry Fitzhenry, unehelicher Sohn von König Heinrich I. von England.
Im späten 14. Jahrhundert wurde das Gebiet von den normannischen Lords de Berminghem akquiriert, die die alte Festung zu einer imposanten Burg umbauten. 
Im frühen 16. Jahrhundert gelang es den einheimischen Irischen Clans das Terretorium kurzfristig von den Normannen zurück zu erobern, aber im Jahr 1554 wechselte die Burg erneut ihren Besitzer. Sie wurde von Sir Henry Colley erworben, einem Mitglied der Colley-Wellesly Familie - ihreszeichens Vorfahren väterlicherseits von niemand geringerem als dem berühmten Militärstrategen Arthur Wellesly, dem Duke of Wellington.
Die Colleys fügten der Burg großzügige Anbauten bei und errichteten außerdem den kleinen Friedhof mit einer kleinen Kapelle und einem Mausoleum unterhalb ihres Herrenhauses.
Während der Irischen Rebellion im Jahre 1798 diente der Hügel den United Irishmen als wichtiger Wachposten und Camp.


Heute ist die Quelle des Flusses Boyne am Fuße des Hügels unter dem Namen Trinity Well bekannt und liegt innerhalb des Anwesens von Newberry Hall, auf Privatgrund. Einmal im Jahr, am Dreifaltigkeitstag im Juni, wird an der Quelle des Boyne eine Messe gelesen und ein kleiner Jahrmarkt auf dem Anwesen abgehalten.

Carbury Hill is ein ruhiger und sanfter Platz, umgeben von nichts außer grasenden Kühen und Schafen. Der kleine Friedhof mit seiner Mauer sieht gleichzeitig wunderschön und eigenartig fehl am Platz aus, inmitten all der weitläufigen Landschaft und den grünen Weiden rundum. Wenn man an einem sonnigen Tag auf dem Hügel sitzt und seinen Blick schweifen läßt, kann man bis zu den anliegenden Grafschaften Offaly und Meath und dem Moor von Allen sehen. Man wird das unglaubliche Gefühl der Bedeutung dieses Ortes und seiner Geschichte nicht los - die wichtige Rolle die dieser Hügel in der Vergangenheit gespielt hat, sowohl in der Irischen Mythologie als auch in der Geschichte des Landes.





No comments:

Post a comment