14 Jun 2014

Magical Places: The Tomb of the Jealous Man and Woman, Newtown Abbey, Co. Meath

Hidden away in a small church on the grounds of an Augustinian Priory on the banks of the River Boyne you'll find the wondrous tomb of a medieval knight and his Lady,  locally known as "the Tomb of the Jealous Man and Woman". 

 



(scroll down for german version)

The priory with its unusual tomb lies only one mile downriver from the medieval town of Trim on the winding path alongside the River Boyne. The monastery was established in 1202 by the Norman bishop Simon de Rochefort. In 1206 when the cathedral in Clonard burned down, the bishop made Newtown Abbey and the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul the archdiocese of Meath. The Cathedral was built within the protective range of Trim castle. Back in the day it was the largest Gothic Cathedral in all of Ireland.
Today only the chancel and parts of the original nave survive, but the remains of the foundations are still visible - with a little imagination you can get an impression of the cathedral's former grandeur.


The remains of the cathedral

Just beyond the cathedral are the remains of the Augustinian Priory and the graveyard.
Inside the small church ruins you'll find the altar tomb dating back to the late 16th century. Here lieth Sir Lucas Dillon and his wife Lady Jane. 
The story of the two is a rather sad one: the tomb is known as the "Tomb of the Jealous Man and Woman " because the two stone effigies are depicted lying there side by side without touching each other, separated by a ceremonial sword of State.
Sir Dillon was born in Newtown in c.1530 of Anglo-Irish nobility. He was a member of the Irish House of Commons for Meath in the Parliament of 1568 and eventually became Attorney General of Ireland. Sir Lucas had a slightly mixed reputation: he was held in high regard by Queen Elizabeth I., but accused of corruption by his enemies. 
Lady Jane Bathe was the daughter of the Chief Baron of the Irish Exchequer, James Bathe.
Lucas and Jane had seven sons and five daughters and lived in nearby Moymet Castle. 

The remains of the Priory on the banks of the river Boyne




The graveyard
Local lore tells the story of Sir Lucas, the jealous man, suspecting his wife of having an affair. 
Lady Jane died in 1581 and Lucas went on to marry Lady Marion Sherle Barnewall, widow of Sir Christopher Barnewall, former leader of the Opposition in the Irish House of Commons. Marion and Christopher had thirteen children together, one of whom, Eleanor, married Lucas' son, Sir James Dillon, the 1st Earl of Roscommon. To make matters more confusing, Lucas' mother was also born a Barnewall.
When Sir Lucas died in 1593 he was buried alongside his first wife Jane. It is believed that he had arranged the tomb in the small church in Newtown to depict the degree of separation between them - the sword symbolising that they are divided for all eternity. 
(Lady Marion, by the way, died in 1607 and was buried in the elaborate tomb alongside her first husband Christopher Barnewall in Lusk Church. They are despicted side by side, shoulders and arms touching.)


The tomb of the Jealous Man and Woman
To have some good come out of this sad story, the "Tomb of the Jealous Man and Woman" is said to cure warts and other skin problems. You have to rub a pin against your wart and leave the pin in the puddle of rainwater between the stone figures of Lady Jane and Sir Lucas. Your wart will disappear as the pin rusts! 
Some visitors also leave coins on top of the tomb, but I'm not sure what that will help you with - maybe to ward off the green-eyed monster? 

The happy couple
"Forever in our thoughts"




deutsche Version:

Versteckt in den Ruinen der kleinen Kirche des Augustinerklosters an den Ufern des Boyne, liegt die wundersame Grabstätte eines spätmittelalterlichen Ritters und seiner Lady, bekannt als "die Gruft des eifersüchtigen Mannes und seiner Frau".



Das Kloster mit der ungewöhnlichen Grabstätte liegt nur eine Meile stromabwärts der mittelalterlichen Stadt Trim, am Pfad, der sich entlang des Flusses Boyne schlängelt. Das Kloster wurde 1202 n. Chr. vom normannischen Bischof Simon de Rochefort gegründet. Als anno 1206 die Kathedrale in Clonard niederbrannte, ernannte der Bischof die Abtei in Newtown und die Kathedrale St. Peter und Paul zur neuen Erzdiozöse von Meath. Die Kathedrale wurde in unmittelbarer Nähe der schützenden Burg von Trim erbaut. Damals war sie die größte gotische Kathedrale in ganz Irland.
Heute sind nur noch der Chor und Teile des Mittelschiffs erhalten, aber die Überreste des Fundaments sind noch gut sichtbar - mit etwas Phantasie bekommt man einen Eindruck des früheren Glanz und der Größe der Kathedrale.

St. Peter and Paul Cathedral, Newtown Abbey
Trim Castle
Gleich hinter der Kathedrale liegen die Überreste des Augustinerklosters und des Friedhofes.
In den Ruinen der kleinen Kirche findet sich das Altar Grabmal aus dem späten 16. Jahrhundert. Hier liegen Sir Lucas Dillon und seine Frau Lady Jane. Die Geschichte der beiden ist etwas traurig: Die Gruft ist bekannt als die "Gruft des eifersüchtigen Mannes und seiner Frau", weil die zwei Steinfiguren auf der Grabplatte zwar nebeneinander liegend abgebildet sind, jedoch ohne sich zu berühren und mit einem zeremoniellen Schwert zwischen ihnen. 
Sir Dillon wurde ca. 1530 als Anglo-Irischer Nobelmann in Newtown geboren. Er saß im Irischen Unterhaus als Vertreter für die Grafschaft Meath im Parlament von 1568 und wurde schließlich zum Justizminister ernannt. Sir Lucas hatte einen etwas durchwachsenen Ruf: von Queen Elizabeth I. wurde er hoch geschätzt, seine Feinde warfen ihm Korruption vor. 
Lady Jane Bathe war die Tochter des damaligen Chief Baron, dem Vorsitzenden des Irischen Gerichtshofes, James Bathe.
Lucas und Jane hatten sieben Söhne und fünf Töchter und wohnten im nahen Schloß Moyment.


The remains of the Priory
Der Sage zufolge soll Sir Lucas seine Frau verdächtigt haben, ihm untreu gewesen zu sein.
Lady Jane starb im Jahre 1581 und Lucas heiratete erneut. Lady Marion Sherle Barnewall war die Witwe von Sir Christopher Barnewall, dem ehemaligen Führer der Opposition im Irischen Parlament. Marion und Christopher hatten dreizehn Kinder, eines davon - Eleanor - heiratete Lucas' Sohn, Sir James Dillon, den 1. Earl of Roscommon. Um das Ganze noch verwirrender zu machen war Lucas' Mutter auch noch eine geborene Barnewall. 
Als Sir Lucas anno 1593 dahinschied, wurde er neben seiner ersten Frau Jane bestattet. Angeblich hatte er veranlasst, daß die Grabplatte in der kleinen Klosterkirche in Newtown den Grad der Trennung zwischen ihnen abbilden sollte - das Schwert symbolisiert, daß sie für alle Ewigkeit getrennt sind.
(Lady Marion übrigens stab im Jahre 1607 und wurde neben ihrem ersten Mann Christopher Barnewell  in einer prunkvollen Gruft in der Kirche in Lusk bestattet. Sie sind nebeneinander abgebildet, Schultern und Arme berühren sich.)

 

Damit doch noch etwas Gutes bei der traurigen Geschichte heraus kommt soll die "Gruft des eifersüchtigen Mannes und seiner Frau" Warzen und andere Hautkrankheiten heilen können. Man muß nur eine Reißzwecke gegen seine Warze reiben und diese dann im gesammelten Regenwasser zwischen der steinernen Lady Jane und Sir Lucas platzieren. Die Warze verschwindet, sobald der Reißnagel verrostet ist! 
Manche Besucher hinterlassen auch Münzen auf der Grabplatte, allerdings bin ich nicht sicher wogegen das helfen soll - möglicherweise um das "grünäugige Monster" Eifersucht abzuwehren?





No comments:

Post a comment