15 Dec 2013

Magical Places: Inchagoill, the Island of the Foreigner, Co. Galway

Legend has it that there are 365 islands scattered on Lough Corrib, one for each day of the year. One of those is Inchagoill Island or "Inis An Ghaill", the "Island of the Foreigner". Tucked away on that little sacred Isle are ancient monastic ruins and a mysterious stone with the oldest surviving inscription in roman letters ever found in Ireland. 



(runterscrollen für die dt. Version!)

Inchagoill is an island shrouded in mystery, very little is known about the history of this early christian settlement in the middle of Lough Corrib.
According to local lore none other than St. Patrick himself and his nephew Lugnad, son of Patrick's sister Menueh (sometimes called Limanin), arrived in Cong in the middle of the 5th century to spread the new religion. The chiefs and druids of Cong weren't impressed and banished Patrick and Lugnad to the small island in the middle of the lake. This is how the island got its name, since Patrick was not a native Irishman, it was called "the island of the stranger" or "foreigner".
Patrick and Lugnad started to built a small church, but then Lugnad died and St. Patrick buried his nephew on the island. 


Inchagoill Island

The Stone of Lugnad

A pillar about one metre in height, marks the gravesite and became known as "the Stone of Lugnad" or "Luguaedon's Stone". It's famous among archaeologists for its incised crosses and unusual inscription that is still perfectly legible today, in spite of being exposed to the elements for some 1,600 years. 
It reads: LIE LUGUAEDON MACC MENUEH, meaning "the stone of Luguaedon, son of Menueh". Some archaeologists think this may be the transliteration of an older Ogham inscription or even an Ogham stone whose original inscription was chiselled away and then sanctified with crosses and engraved with the words in roman letters. Either way, it is the oldest such inscription to be found in Ireland and indeed the second oldest in Europe (the oldest are in the catacombs in Rome).
Next to the pillar are the ruins of St. Patrick's church, with its narrow doorway. It is believed to have been built by St. Patrick himself in the 5th century, although some archaeologists date the small building to the 6th or even 7th century.

The graveyard

St. Patrick's Church

A bit further down are the remains of another small church known as "Teampull Na Naoimh", the "Church of the Saints". This church was built c.1180 by the Augustinian monks from the Abbey in Cong across the lake. It was set up as a quiet retreat for prayer and meditation, away from busy Cong Abbey that had grown into a monastic community of more than 3,000 monks and scholars. 
The retreat on Inchagoill would have originally consisted of a few wooden huts among the two stone churches, where the monks slept and prayed.
The archway of the Hiberno Romanesque church depicts the heads of the ten saints of Lough Corrib on richly ornate pillars. Inside the doorway on the right there's a byzantine or greek cross carved on the wall,  believed to be evidence of scholars from far away. 
In later times, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century, the island may also have served as a hiding place for the monks.

The Church of the Saints

The archway

According to records up to six families called the island their home once the monastery was abandoned, scraping a living by farming and fishing. By 1935 however, there was only one inhabitant left.
He was called Thomas Nevin and was the caretaker for the Guinness family, who purchased Inchagoill Island as part of the Ashford estate in the 19th century. Thomas, a World War I veteran, lived here alone with his dog and was employed to maintain the pathways and the graveyard on the island. Every two weeks he would row across the lake in his small fishing boat to get supplies from the village of Cong or Oughterard. Sometimes fishermen would stop by and take their lunch break on the island, but apart from these fleeting visits Thomas and his dog led a pretty quiet life. 
The peace and quiet was interrupted briefly on the day of the All Ireland Football Final in 1938, when County Galway and County Kerry were to play each other. Thomas, one of the few proud owners of a dry battery radio in the area, was visited by more than 100 football enthusiasts, who squeezed into his humble abode to listen to the game. Galway won that day - it must have been some party on the island!
Thomas lived on Inchagoill until 1948, when he left the island and moved to Cong, where he died sixteen years later.


Lough Corrib



Today the serene island remains uninhabited. 
Once a year mass is held among the scenic ruins for all fishermen and everyone who voyages out on the lake.
During the summer months visitors can visit Inchagoill by taking Corrib Cruises from Ashford Castle or Lisloughery pier near Cong on the north shore or from the village of Oughterard on the western shore of Lough Corrib. 





german version:

Der Legende nach sind 365 Inseln auf dem Lough Corrib verstreut, eine für jeden Tag des Jahres. Eine davon ist Inchagoill Island oder "Inis An Ghaill", die "Insel des Fremden". Auf der kleinen heiligen Insel verbergen sich alte Klosterruinen und ein mysteriösen Stein mit der ältesten Inschrift in römischer Schrift, die je in Irland entdeckt wurde.






Inchagoill ist eine sagenumwobene Insel, sehr wenig ist über die Geschichte der frühen christlichen Siedlung mitten im Lough Corrib bekannt. 
Örtlichen Überlieferungen zufolge soll St. Patrick höchstpersönlich mit seinem Neffen Lugnad, Sohn von Patrick's Schwester Menueh (manchmal auch Limanin genannt) Mitte des 5. Jhdts nach Cong gekommen sein, um die neue Religion zu verbreiten. Die Stammesfürsten und Druiden der Gegend waren nicht besonders beeindruckt und verbannten Patrick und Lugnad auf die kleine Insel in der Mitte des Sees. So soll die Insel ihren Namen erhalten haben: da Patrick kein Ire war, wurde sie "die Insel des Fremden" genannt. 
Patrick und Lugnad machten sich daran eine Kirche zu bauen, doch dann verstarb Lugnad und Patrick begrub seinen Neffen auf der Insel.





Ein ungefähr 1 Meter hoher Stein markiert die Grabstätte und wurde als "Der Stein des Lugnad" oder "Luguaedon's Stein" bekannt. Unter Archäologen ist er für seine eingekerbten Kreuze und die ungewöhnliche Inschrift bekannt, die immer noch sehr gut lesbar ist, obwohl der Stein fast 1600 Jahre Wind und Wetter ausgesetzt war.
Hier steht: LIE LUGUAEDON MACC MENUEH, was soviel wie "Der Stein von Luguaedon Sohn von Menueh" bedeutet. Einige Archäologen glauben, daß es sich dabei um eine Übersetzung einer älteren Ogham Inschrift handelt oder sogar um einen Ogham Stein, dessen Original Inschrift weggemeißelt und mit den Kreuzen dem Christentum geweiht und durch römische Buchstaben ersetzt wurde. Auf jeden Fall ist es die älteste Inschrift in römischer Schrift in ganz Irland und die zweitälteste in ganz Europa (die ältesten befinden sich in den Katakomben von Rom).
Neben dem Stein stehen die Ruinen der St. Patrick's Kirche mit ihrem schmalen Eingang. Sie soll von St. Patrick selbst im 5. Jhdt. erbaut worden sein, aber manche Archäologen datieren das kleine Bauwerk eher ins 6. oder 7. Jhdt.





Ein Stück entfernt stehen die Überreste einer anderen Kirche bekannt als "Teampull na Naoimh", die "Kirche der Heiligen". Diese Kirche wurde ungefähr im Jahre 1180 von den Augustinermönchen der Abtei in Cong erbaut. Sie wurde als stiller Rückzugsort für Gebete und Meditation errichtet, weg vom geschäftigen Treiben der Cong Abbey, die zu einer monastischen Gemeinschaft von über 3.000 Brüdern herangewachsen war.
Die Eremitage auf Inchagoill bestand damals wohl aus einigen Holzhütten inmitten der alten Steinkirchen, wo die Mönche schliefen und beteten.
Das Portal der Hiberno-Romanischen Kirche zeigt die Köpfe der zehn Schutzheiligen des Lough Corrib auf reich verzierten Säulen. In der Kirche, rechts neben dem Eingangstor ist ein byzantinisches oder griechisches Kreuz eingraviert, was auf Gelehrte von weit her schließen lässt. 
Später, während der Zeit der Auflösung der Klöster durch Henry VIII im 16. Jhdt., diente die Insel wahrscheinlich als Versteck für die Mönche.




Aufzeichnungen zufolge lebten - nachdem die Einsiedelei aufgegeben wurde - bis zu sechs Familien auf der Insel,  die sich mit Ackerbau und Fischerei über Wasser hielten. Im Jahre 1935 war allerdings nur noch ein einziger Bewohner übrig.
Er hieß Thomas Nevin und war der Verwalter der Guinness Familie, die Inchagoill als Teil des Ashford Anwesens im 19. Jhdt. erworben hatte. Thomas, ein Veteran des ersten Weltkriegs, lebte hier allein mit seinem Hund und wurde angestellt, um die Pfade und den Friedhof zu pflegen. Alle zwei Wochen ruderte er mit seinem kleinen Boot über den See ans Festland nach Cong oder Oughterard um Lebensmittel zu besorgen. Ab und zu kamen Fischer vorbei und verbrachten ihre Mittagspause auf der Insel, aber abgesehen von diesen kurzen Besuchen führten Thomas und sein Hund ein ziemlich ruhiges Leben.
Der Frieden wurde kurzzeitig unterbrochen, und zwar im Jahr 1938 am Tag des All Ireland Football Finales, als Galway gegen Kerry spielte. Thomas war einer der wenigen stolzen Besitzer eines batteriebetriebenen Radios und wurde von mehr als 100 Football Enthusiasten besucht, die sich alle in seine bescheidene Hütte zwängten um dem Spiel zu lauschen. Galway hat gewonnen -  was für eine Party auf der kleinen Insel! 
Thomas lebte bis 1948 auf Inchagoill, dann zog auch er aufs Festland nach Cong, wo er sechzehn Jahre später starb.



 
Bis heute ist die ruhige Insel unbewohnt. 
Einmal im Jahr wird eine Messe für die Fischer und Seefahrer inmitten der malerischen Ruinen  gelesen.
Während der Sommer Monate kann man die Insel besichtigen, Corrib Cruises fährt die Insel vom Ashford Castle oder dem Lisloughery Pier nahe Cong am Nordufer oder vom Dorf Oughterard am Westufer des Lough Corrib an.



No comments:

Post a Comment