30 Dec 2013

Magical Places: Cong Abbey, Co. Mayo

In the year 627 AD St. Feichín stumbled across a magical spot on the small corridor of land between Lough Mask and Lough Corrib in the west of Ireland. This island in the woods surrounded by rivers and streams was so enchanting that he decided then and there to built a monastery here. The monastic settlement was to become one of the most majestic Abbeys in Ireland.





(scroll down for german version!)

The lakeland area around the Abbey is steeped in history and even plays an important role in Irish Mythology. According to a saga in the manuscripts of the "Mythological Cycle" - one of the four recorded cycles of Irish Mythology - the plain of Cong was the site of a battle between the ancient tribes of the Firbolg and the Tuatha Dé Danann. Both tribes had to flee Ireland after a failed uprising against another ancient people, the Formorians. The Firbolg fled to the south of Europe, while the Tuatha Dé Danann fled north. Years later, after acquiring new skills in the arts of magic and warfare, both mystical tribes returned to Ireland and seized it from the Formorians. 
Finally they met at Cong, where they had to fight each other for control over the country. This battle became known as "The Battle of Maigh Tuireadh (Moytura) at Cong". The Tuatha Dé Danann gained the upper hand, called a truce and offered the Province of Connacht to the Firbolg in order to make peace. 
Many Bronze Age remains were found in the area, evidence of a thriving culture centuries before Celtic or Iron Age times and long before St. Feichín founded his monastery here.

Cong Abbey

Abbey bridge

The village that developed around the monastery was named after the Saint "Cunga Feichín" meaning "Saint Feichín's narrows".  St. Feichín of course went on to built an even grander site in Fore, Co. Westmeath.
Over the centuries Cong became the residence of the Kings of Connacht and a town of some means and importance. The original monastery was destroyed by a fire in the early 12th century, unfortunately no traces of this first monastic settlement survived. 





A few years after the fire, in 1135 AD the King of Connacht and High King of Ireland, Turlough O'Connor rebuilt and re-founded the abbey for the Order of the Augustinians. Turlough also built a fort a few kilometres down south on the bottom end of Lough Corrib named Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe ("Fort at the mouth of the Gaillimh") that eventually developed into Galway City. 
The High King is reputed to have had about 26 children by at least six different wives, quarrels regarding the succession seemed to be inevitable. The one who would follow Tulough to the throne in 1156 AD, turned out to be the worst choice possible: Roderic "Rory" O'Connor was to make history as the last native High King of Ireland.

 


Under Rory's reign the glorious days of the O'Connor dynasty were numbered and drawing to a rapid end. He started a war with Dermot MacMurrough, the King of Leinster, and seized his territories. MacMurrough fled to England and asked King Henry II for help. In 1169 the Anglo-Normans invaded Ireland. Under Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, aka "Strongbow", one kingdom after another fell into the hands of the English. 
In 1175  Roderic was standing with his back to the proverbial wall and had no other choice than to relinquish his High Kingship. In return for becoming Henry's vassal for Connacht, he was allowed to keep some of his territories. His own family however, expelled the ill-fated King for letting the kingdom slip from his hands. Poor Rory retired to Cong Abbey and spent the rest of his years doing penance and lamenting the downfall of his country. He died in 1198 and was first buried at the Abbey, but a few years later the last native High King of Ireland was moved and found his final resting place in the monastic city of Clonmacnoise.



Elaborate doorways

Soon after, in 1203 the Norman knight William de Burgo attacked the town and much of the Abbey was destroyed and had to be rebuilt again. By the beginning of the 14th century the de Burgo family had become benefactors of the town and Abbey and the monastery flourished into a great centre for learning. History, Music, Poetry and the Illumination of books were taught here, as well as crafts like masonry, metal work, woodcarving and harp making. The community grew to more than 3,000 monks and lay brothers. 



Fine stone carvings

Cong Abbey boasts some of the finest examples of medieval ecclesiastical architecture in Ireland. Most of the remains we see today are from the early 13th century.
The grounds of the Abbey are quite extensive and very tranquil surrounded by nature with fine specimen of Yew trees that are hundreds of years old.


The abbey grounds

The monk's fishing house
  
In the 15th or early 16th century the monks built a fishing house down by the river on a platform of stones with a trapdoor in the floor. With the serene flow of the river and framed by the woodlands all around the little building almost resembles something like a water shrine. A line was connected from the fishing house to a bell in the kitchen of the monastery to let the cook know when fresh fish were ready to be picked up. 
A small footbridge, appropriately named "Abbey bridge" leads over the river and through a gateway into the surrounding forests, where the monks made use of the subterranean caves carved into the limestone by underground streams connecting Lough Mask and Lough Corrib. It is believed that the caves were used as pantries and refrigerators, but also as hiding places during times of suppression. 

Teach Aille cave in the Cong woods
The Pigeon Hole cave

The monks also built themselves a retreat for prayer and meditation on the sacred island of Inchagoill in the middle of Lough Corrib, where St. Patrick's nephew Lugnad is believed to be buried.
During the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII Cong Abbey was gradually abandoned and fell into disrepair. 
In the mid 19th century Sir Benjamin Guinness, the new owner of the nearby Ashford estate, started a restoration project to safe the Abbey. Today the remains are protected by the OPW, the Office of Public Works.



deutsche Version: 
 

Im Jahre 627 n.Chr. stolperte der Hl. Feichín über diesen magischen Ort an der schmalen Landzunge zwischen Lough Mask und Lough Corrib im Westen Irlands. Die Insel mitten im Wald umgeben von Flüssen und Bächen verzauberte ihn so sehr, daß er an Ort und Stelle entschied, hier ein Kloster zu erbauen. Die Klosteranlage sollte eine der majestätischsten Abteien Irlands werden.



Die Seenlandschaft rund um die Abtei ist durchtränkt von Geschichte und spielt sogar in der Irischen Mythologie eine große Rolle. Einer Sage aus den Manuskriptes des "Mythologischen Zyklus" - einem der vier bekannten Zyklen der Irischen Mythologie - zufolge, war die Ebene von Cong der Schauplatz einer Schlacht zwischen den frühen Stämmen der Firbolg und der Tuatha Dé Danann. Beide Stämme mußten nach einem mißglückten Aufstand gegen das vorherrschende Volk der Formorier, aus Irland fliehen. Die Firbolg flüchteten in den Süden Europas, die Tuatha Dé Danann in den Norden. Nach vielen Jahren, in denen sie ihre Fertigkeiten in den Künsten der Magie und der Kriegsführung verbesserten, kehrten beide mythischen Völker aus der Verbannung zurück und eroberten Irland von den Formoriern zurück. Schließlich trafen sie in Cong aufeinander, wo sie nun um die Vorherrschaft Irlands kämpfen mußten. Diese Schlacht ging als "Der Kampf von Maigh Tuireadh in Cong" in die Annalen ein. Die Tuatha Dé Danann gingen als Sieger hervor, riefen einen Waffenstillstand aus und boten den Firbolg die Provinz Connacht an, um Frieden zu schließen.
In der Gegend um Cong wurden viele Überreste aus der Bronzezeit gefunden, der Beweis für eine blühende Kultur Jahrhunderte vor der Eisenzeit oder der keltischen Besiedelung und noch länger bevor der Hl. Feíchin sein Kloster hier gründete.

 
The monks fishing house

Das Dorf das rund um das Kloster entstand wurde nach dem Heiligen benannt - "Cunga Feichín" bedeutet "Feichín's Landzunge". Der Hl. Feichín freilich, machte sich alsbald nach Westmeath auf, um dort seine größere und bedeutendere Klosteranlage in Fore zu erbauen.
Im Laufe der Jahrhunderte entwickelte sich Cong zum Sitz der Könige von Connacht und wurde zu einer einflußreichen und wichtigen Stadt.
Das ursprüngliche Kloster wurde im 12. Jhdt. bei einem Feuer völlig zerstört, leider gibt es keinerlei Überreste dieser Anlage. 




Einige Jahre nach dem großen Feuer, im Jahre 1135 n. Chr. beschloß der König von Connacht und Hochkönig von Irland, Turlough O'Connor, die Abtei wieder aufzubauen und für die Augustinermönche neu zu begründen. Turlough erbaute auch ein paar Kilometer südlich am unteren Ende des Lough Corrib eine Festung namens Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe ("Festung an der Mündung des Gaillimh"), aus der sich später die Stadt Galway entwickeln sollte. 
Der Hochkönig soll an die 26 Kinder von sechs verschiedenen Ehefrauen gehabt haben, Streitigkeiten um die Nachfolge waren also vorprogrammiert. Der Auserwählte, der Turlough schließlich 1156 n. Chr. auf den Thron folgen sollte, erwies sich als die schlimmste Wahl: Roderic "Rory" O'Connor würde als der letzte irische Hochkönig des Landes in die Geschichte eingehen.



Unter Rorys Regentschaft waren die glorreichen Tage der O'Connor Dynastie gezählt und neigten sich einem raschen Ende zu. Er begann einen Krieg mit dem König von Leinster, Dermot MacMurrough, und beschlagnahmte sein Terretorium. MacMurrough floh nach England und bat König Henry II um Hilfe. Im Jahre 1169 fielen die Anglo-Normannen in Irland ein. Unter  Richard de Clare, dem zweiten Earl von Pembroke, auch bekannt als "Strongbow", fiel ein Stammesfürstentum nach dem anderen in die Hände der Engländer. 
Im Jahre 1175 stand Roderic buchstäblich mit dem Rücken zur Wand, es blieb ihm nichts anderes übrig, als die Regentschaft als Hochkönig aufzugeben. Er wurde zum Vasallen König Henrys und durfte im Gegenzug einige seiner Ländereien behalten. Seine eigene Familie verstieß den ungeschickten Herrscher schließlich, weil er das Königreich verloren hatte. Der arme Rory zog sich ins Kloster von Cong zurück und verbrachte seine letzten Jahre damit Sühne zu tun und den Niedergang seines Landes zu betrauern. Er stab im Jahre 1198 und wurde zuerst in der Abtei begraben, aber später als letzter der irischen Hochkönige in der  Klosteranlage in Clonmacnoise   zur ewigen Ruhe gebettet.


The abbey grounds
Bald danach, anno 1203 überfiel der normannische Ritter William de Burgo die Stadt und große Teile des Klosters wurden zerstört und mußten wieder aufgebaut werden. Zu Beginn des 14. Jahrhunderts hatten sich die de Burgos allerdings zu Wohltätern der Stadt und des Klosters gemausert und die Anlage erblühte zu einem Zentrum der Wissenschaften. Geschichte, Musik, Dichtkunst und die Verzierung von Büchern wurden hier gelehrt, aber auch Handwerkskünste wie Steinmetzerei, Metallarbeit, Holzschnitzerei und die Anfertigung von Harfen. Die Gemeinschaft wuchs zu über 3000 Mönchen und Laienbrüdern heran.
Cong Abbey kann sich der erlesensten Exemplare sakraler Baukunst rühmen. Die meisten Überreste, die man heute sieht, stammen aus dem frühen 13. Jahrhundert.
Die Anlage rund um das Kloster ist ziemlich weitläufig, sehr ruhig gelegen inmitten der Natur mit jahrhunderte alten Eiben.



Im 15. oder frühen 16. Jahrhundert bauten sich die Mönche eine Fischerhütte unten am Fluß auf einer Platform aus Steinen und mit einer Falltür im Boden. Inmitten der beruhigenden Fließbewegung des Wassers und eingerahmt von den Wälder ringsum erinnert das kleine Häuschen fast an eine Art Wassertempel. Eine Schnur verband die Fischerhütte mit einer Glocke in der Küche des Klosters, damit der Koch wußte, wann er den frischen Fisch holen konnte. 
Ein schmaler Brückensteg, passenderweise "Abtei Brücke" genannt, führt über den Fluß und durch ein steinernes Tor in die umliegenden Wälder, in denen die Mönche Gebrauch von den Höhlen und Grotten machten, die unterirdisch fließende Bäche in den Kalkstein gegraben haben, die den Lough Mask und den Lough Corrib verbinden. Es wird angenommen, daß die Mönche die Höhlen als Vorratskammern und Kühlschrank verwendet haben, aber auch als Verstecke in Zeiten der Unterdrückung und Verfolgung.
Die Mönche bauten sich auch eine Kirche als Rückzugsort für Gebete und Meditation auf der heiligen Insel Inchagoill inmitten des Lough Corrib. St. Patrick's Neffe Lugnad soll dort begraben liegen.
Während der Auflösung der Klöster unter Henry VIII wurde Cong Abbey allmählich aufgegeben und verfiel langsam.
Erst Mitte des 19. Jhdts. erbarmte sich der neue Besitzer des nahen Ashford Anwesens, Sir Benjamin Guinness, und startete ein Restaurierungsprojekt.
Heute stehen die Überreste der  Abtei unter dem Schutz des Office of Public Work.



No comments:

Post a comment