14 Apr 2014

Magical Places: Timoleague Friary in West Cork

Built on the site of an earlier monastic settlement the imposing ruins of Timoleague Friary sit on the banks of the Argideen River where it flows into Courtmacsherry Bay.


 (scroll down for german version!)


A visit to Timoleague Friary is quite an experience, the monastery grounds are very extensive, it's easy to get lost in the labyrinth of the many rooms and passageways. On a rainy afternoon with the mists creeping in from the Argideen estuary you might also lose yourself in time and space and the lingering sense of history echoing through the site. 



The abbey was founded by the McCarthy clan for the Franciscan order in 1240 AD and was built on the site of a 7th century monastic settlement founded by Saint Molaga, a disciple of St. David of Wales. The site has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. The name Timoleague derives from the Irish "Tigh Molaga", which means "House of Molaga".
St. Molaga is said to have brought the art of beekeeping and of making honey to Ireland. To this day West Cork is renowned for its honey production.
St. Molaga also dedicated his life to the care of plague victims, only to die from the disease himself in 665 AD.




In its heyday the friary was one of the largest religious houses in Ireland and famous for its library. The Book of MacCarthaigh Riabhach of Killbrittain otherwise known as the 'Book of Lismore'  was kept here since the 15th century.  
Two centuries later, in 1639 Micheál Ó Cléirigh, one of the 'Four Masters' from the Abbey of the Four Masters, visited the abbey and its library. He is responsible for the 'Annals of the Four Masters' - the famous compilation of Irish Mythology and History.  



The wart well
Many irish and norman nobles found their final resting place inside the extensive abbey grounds, notably the McCarthy, Hodnett and de Barra families. At one point the graveyard became so 'crowded' that remains had to be disinterred and the skull and bones were assembled into an ossuarium to make room for new burials. There's a plaque at the abbey gates with a poem written in Irish by the eighteenth century poet Seán O' Coileán, commemorating this event.  


The poem by Seán O'Coileán


In the fateful year of 1601 some of the McCarthy's and de Barra's joined Hugh O'Neill's rebellion, while other members of these families fought alongside Queen Elizabeth's forces in the Battle of Kinsale. The friars of Timoleague were caught in the middle, as the families tried to save and expel the monks at the same time. After the Irish Rebellion was quenched, the monks were evicted, only to return a few years later. In 1612 the abbey was again attacked and sacked by english soldiers, but the friars picked up the pieces and repaired the abbey.
When english soldiers under Lord Forbes arrived pillaging and plundering in town in 1642 Timoleague Abbey was finally abandoned for good.



The Arigdeen River



deutsche Version:

Errichtet an der Stelle einer früheren Klosteranlage stehen die imposanten Ruinen des Timoleague Klosters am Ufer des Flußes Argideen, der hier in die Courtmacsherry Bucht fließt.

 


Ein Besuch des Timoleague Klosters ist ein besonderes Erlebnis, die Anlage ist sehr weitläufig und man verirrt sich leicht im Labyrinth der viele Räume und Gänge. An einem regnerischen Nachmittag, wenn die Nebelschwaden von der Argideen Flußmündung herauf durch die Ruine kriechen, kann man sich auch in Zeit und Raum und dem Gefühl von Geschichte verlieren, das durch die Gemäuer hallt.



Das Kloster wurde im Jahre 1240 n. Chr. vom McCarthy Clan für die Franziskaner begründet und an der Stelle einer früheren Klosteranlage aus dem 7. Jhdt. erbaut, die vom Hl. Molaga, einem Schüler des Hl. David aus Wales, gegründet wurde. Der Ort war seit Jahrhunderten eine Pilgerstätte. Der Name Timoleague stammt vom Irischen "Tigh Molaga" ab, was "Haus des Molaga" bedeutet.
Der Hl. Molaga soll die Kunst der Bienenzucht und der Honigherstellung nach Irland gebracht haben. Bis heute ist West Cork bekannt für seine Honig Produktion.
St. Molaga widmete sein Leben außerdem der Pflege von Pestkranken, bis auch er 665 n. Chr. von der Epidemie dahingerafft wurde.



In seinen besten Tagen war das Kloster eines der größten Kirchenhäuser Irlands und berühmt für seine Bibliothek. Das Buch der MacCarthaigh Riabhach von Kilbrittan, auch bekannt als "Buch von Lismore" wurde hier seit dem 15. Jhdt, aufbewahrt.
Zwei Jahrhunderte später, im Jahr 1639, stattete Micheál Ò Cléirigh, einer der "vier Meister" aus dem Kloster der vier Meister in Donegal, der Abtei und der umfangreichen Bibliothek einen Besuch ab. Er ist verantwortlich für die "Annalen der Vier Meister" - die berühmte Sammlung irischer Geschichte und Mythologie.





Viele irische und normannische Adelige haben in der weitläufigen Klosteranlage ihre letzte Ruhestätte gefunden, vor allem die McCarthy, Hodnett und de Barra Familien. Irgendwann war der Friedhof so überfüllt, daß die sterblichen Überreste ausgegraben und die Totenköpfe und Knochen in ein Beinhaus geschlichtet werden mußten, um Platz für neue Gräber zu schaffen. Am Eingangstor erinnert eine Plakette an dieses Ereignis, ein irisches Gedicht verfasst vom Poeten Seán O´Coileán aus dem 18. Jahrhundert.



Im Schicksalsjahr 1601 schlossen sich einige Mitglieder der McCarthy und de Barra Familien der Revolution von Hugh O`Neill an, während andere auf Seiten der englischen Armee in die Schlacht von Kinsale zogen. Die Mönche von Timoleague waren mittendrin - die Familien versuchten sie gleichzeitig zu retten und zu verstoßen. Nachdem die Irische Rebellion niedergeschlagen wurde, wurden die Mönche aus dem Kloster geworfen, kehrten aber einige Jahre später wieder zurück. Im Jahr 1612 wurde die Abtei erneut von englischen Soldaten geplündert und zerstört, aber die Brüder bauten ihr Kloster wieder auf.
Als anno 1642 die englischen Soldaten unter Lord Forbes plündernd und brandschatzend in der Stadt ankamen, wurde das Kloster von Timoleague schließlich entgültig aufgegeben.















No comments:

Post a comment