24 Mar 2014

Magical Places: Ross Errilly Friary, Co. Galway

Ross Errilly sits on the banks of the Black River, overlooking the plains of east Galway, on the border to County Mayo. The medieval friary has a long and turbulent history of oppression, expulsion and clandestine reoccupation. 

 



  (scroll down for german version)

Ross Errilly (from the Irish: Ros Oirialaigh, or Ros na tír Eala - 'the flaxseed of the three swans' ) was founded c. 1350 by Sir Raymond de Burgo for the Franciscan order. Local lore tells the story of the Archbishop of Tuam, a Franciscan, who had an angel appear in his dream. The angel told him he will receive a sign as to where the new friary should be built. The next day he saw three swans with flaxseeds in their bills and followed them down to the banks of the Black River. When he reached the river the swans were gone, but three bunches of flax were blooming in the marshland.
The Archbishop himself never lived to see the completion of the Friary, he died from the plague in 1351, shortly before the monastery was finished.

The Black River marks the border of Counties Galway and Mayo

Ross Errilly soon became one of the largest Franciscan foundations in Ireland. The Franciscans are a mendicant order, they lived on alms and donations. They were thought of having a better connection with the irish people than most of the other continental orders, many of the friars came from local communities, spoke Irish and worked among the people.
In 1473 a delegation of friars from Ross Errilly set off to Donegal town to establish a monastery there. The friary became known as the  Friary of the Four Masters  where the "Annals of the Four Masters", a compilation of the history and mythology of Ireland, were written down.

The cloister arcardes

During the English Reformation and the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century the friars of Ross Errilly were expelled, imprisoned, banished or killed. The friary was confiscated and sold off to the highest bidder. 
This happened to be Sir Richard Burgh, the 2nd Earl of Clanrickarde, a descendant of the de Burgo family who founded the monastery two hundred years earlier. The Earl quietly returned the friary to the Franciscans. 


Interior

A few years later the monastery was again confiscated by the English Crown and again sold off. The Earl of Clanrickarde managed to get his hands on the property once more and in another covert operation returned it to the friars once again.
This didn't go down too well with the authorities. When they eventually found out in 1600 the friary was confiscated for the third time and turned into an english garrison during the Nine Year War.
After the war the Burgh family again managed to obtain the friary, renovated it - and yes! you guessed it! - gave it back to the Franciscan order one more time.
But that wasn't the end of it.

Exterior

In the course of the next few hundred years Ross Errilly was attacked, pillaged, abandoned and reoccupied several times. 
In the 18th century, during the times of the Penal Laws, the property was owned by Lord St. George. He continued the tradition of the Earls of Clanrickard and secretly allowed the friars to relocate at Ross Errilly. In 1753 a disgruntled family who had lost a lawsuit to Lord St. George found out about it and reported him to the local authorities. Word got to St. George in time and the brothers fled the friary. St. George cleared the place of all evidence of monastic life and instead set up a fake weaving mill. When the authorities came to investigate they only found a group of weavers and their looms inside the old  friary.
However, this was the last time the friars abandoned the premises, they were never to return to Ross Errilly.


After the friars left, the monastery slowly fell into disrepair.
William Wilde, surgeon and author of books on medicine, archaeology and Irish folklore (as well as father to Oscar) visited Ross Errilly in 1866 and was alarmed by the state of the site. The old ruins were covered in ivy, sheep and cattle were wandering around inside and heaps of unburied human remains - skulls and bones - were strewn across the church floor.
Today Ross Errilly is fenced in to keep the sheep at bay and the skulls and bones have been collected and safely stored away. The ruin is maintained by the Office of Public Works and now the remains are among the best-preserved Franciscan sites in Ireland. 

medieval doorways


german version:

Ross Errilly liegt am Ufer des Black River mit Blick über die Ebene im östlichen Galway, direkt an der Grenze zur Grafschaft Mayo. Das mittelalterliche Kloster hat eine lange und turbulente Geschichte der Unterdrückung, Vertreibung und heimlicher Wiederbesetzung. 

 


Ross Errilly (aus dem Irischen: Ros Oirialaigh oder Ros na tír Eala - "Leinsamen der drei Schwäne") wurde circa 1350 von Sir Raymond de Burgo für den Franziskanerorden gegründet. Der Sage nach soll dem Erzbischof von Tuam, einem Franziskaner, ein Engel im Traum erschienen sein. Der Engel erzählte ihm, daß er ein Zeichen erhalten werde an welcher Stelle das neue Kloster errichtet werden soll. Am nächsten Tag sah der Erzbischof drei Schwäne mit Leinsamen im Schnabel, und folgte ihnen hinunter zum Black River. Als er am Ufer ankam waren die Schwäne verschwunden, aber drei Büschel Leinsamen blühten im Marschland. 
Der Erzbischof erlebte die Fertigstellung des Klosters nicht mehr, er verstab 1351 an der Pest, kurz bevor das Kloster fertig gebaut war.


Ross Errilly wuchs rasch zur größten Franziskaner Niederlassung in Irland heran. Die Franziskaner sind ein Bettelorden, sie lebten nur von Almosen und Spenden. Die Ordensbrüder hatten einen besseren Anschluss zur irischen Bevölkerung als die meisten anderen europäischen Orden, viele Mönche waren ortsansässig, sprachen Irisch und arbeiteten mit den Einheimischen aus der Gemeinde.
Im Jahre 1473 machte sich eine Delegation aus Ross Errilly auf nach Donegal um dort ein Kloster zu gründen. Die Niederlassung wurde als Kloster der Vier Meister bekannt, wo die "Annalen der vier Meister" - eine Zusammenfassung der Geschichte und Mythologie Irlands - niedergeschrieben wurden.


Während der englischen Reformation und der Auflösung der Klöster im 16. Jahrhundert wurden die Mönche aus Ross Errilly vertrieben, eingekerkert, verbannt oder gleich umgebracht. Das Kloster wurde konfisziert und an den Höchstbieter verkauft.  
Der war zufälligerweise Sir Richard Burgh, der zweite Earl von Clanrickarde, ein Nachfahre der de Burgo Familie, die zweihundert Jahre zuvor das Kloster gegründet hatte. Der Earl gab das Kloster leise, still und heimlich an die Brüder zurück.


Einige Jahre später wurde die Anlage erneut von der englischen Krone konfisziert und verkauft. Der Earl von Clanrickarde schaffte es das Anwesen zurück zu ergattern und gab es den Mönchen in einer erneuten Geheimoperation zurück.  Das kam bei der Obrigkeit nicht so gut an. Als sie anno 1600 dahinter kamen, wurde das Kloster zum dritten Mal beschlagnahmt und im Neunjährigen Krieg in eine Garnison umfunktioniert. 

Nach dem Krieg schaffte es die Burgh Familie wieder das Anwesen zurück zu bekommen, sie renovierten das Kloster und - jawohl! richtig geraten! - überließen es erneut den Franziskanermönchen.
Aber damit war es noch nicht getan.




Im Laufe der nächsten Jahrhunderte wurde Ross Errilly mehrere Male überfallen, geplündert, aufgegeben und wieder aufgebaut. 
Im 18. Jahrhundert, zur Zeit der repressiven "Penal Laws" - anti-katholischer Gesetze - war das Anwesen in Besitz des Adeligen Lord St. George. Er setzte die alte Tradition der Earls von Clanrickarde fort und erlaubte den Franziskanermönchen heimlich sich wieder in Ross Errilly niederzulassen. Im Jahr 1753 kam eine Familie, die zuvor einen Rechtsstreit mit den Lord verloren hatte und deshalb nicht gut auf ihn zu sprechen war, dahinter und meldete es den Behörden. Der Lord bekam rechtzeitig Wind davon und die Mönche konnten fliehen. St. George entfernte jegliche Anzeichen des Klosterlebens und richtete statt dessen eine fingierte Weberei ein. Als die Obrigkeit kam um zu investigieren fanden sie nur eine Gruppe Weber mit ihren Webstühlen in den alten Gemäuern vor. 
Trotzdem war es das allerletzte Mal, daß die Mönche das Kloster verlassen mußten, sie sollten nie wieder nach Ross Errilly zurückkehren.



Nachdem die Mönche weg waren, verfiel das Kloster allmählich.William Wilde, der Arzt und Autor von diversen Werken über Medizin, Archäologie und irischer Folklore (und Vater von Oscar) besuchte Ross Errilly im Jahr 1866 und war vom Zustand des Klosters schockiert. Die alten Ruinen waren von Efeu überwuchert, Schafe und Kühe wanderten darin umher und der Boden der Kirche war übersät mit den Überresten menschlicher Schädel und Knochen.
Heute ist Ross Errilly eingezäunt, damit die Schafe draußen bleiben und die Schädel und Knochen wurden eingesammelt und an einen sicheren Ort verwahrt. Die Ruine wird vom OPW, dem Denkmalamt, verwaltet und zählt heute zu den am besten erhaltenen Franziskanerklöstern in Irland.





No comments:

Post a comment