20 Jun 2020

Exploring Ireland's Ancient East: Hook Head Lighthouse, Co. Wexford

This is Ireland's oldest operating lighthouse and the second oldest in the world. It guards the prominent Hook Head, the entrance to the great estuary formed by the confluence of the "three sisters" - the rivers Barrow, Nore and Suir.




(scroll down for German version)

The headland of the Hook peninsula is known in Irish as "Rinn Dubháin", meaning "Dubhán's headland". Dubhán was a Welsh missionary who came to Ireland in the 5th century and founded a monastery on the peninsula. He and his monks were the first to erect a beacon and kept warning fires lit at the tip of the headland to warn seafarers of the treacherous rocks leading into the natural harbour. A few centuries later, invading Vikings named the estuary "Vadra Fiord", the "weather estuary", the origin of the name "Waterford".

The remains of Dubhán's monastery
The river estuary
Hook Head
The existing lighthouse tower dates back to the 12th century. It was built by William Marshall, the Earl of Pembroke and Strongbow's son-in-law, following the Norman invasion. William Marshall established a port upstream in the town of New Ross and needed a safe passage through the mouth of Waterford Harbour.



The monks remained the custodians and lightkeepers of the light tower until Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries in 1540. After the monks were dispelled the headland went dark, which led to several shipwrecks along this coastline. In the 17th century sailors and merchants demanded the light to be restored. In the 1670s the new lighthouse keepers moved in and the first glass lantern was installed on top of the tower to protect the coal fire from the elements. 



In 1791 the coal fire was replaced by a whale oil lamp, following complaints that the light signal from the coal fire was too weak. Further improvements took place in the early 19th century, and in the 1860s the lantern was given its present shape. In 1911, paraffin oil replaced the whale oil, which in turn was replaced by electricity in 1972. In 1996, the last lighthouse keeper left the post as it was converted to automatic operation.


Today, the lighthouse is open to the public and the lighthouse keeper's old dwellings serve as the visitor centre, gift shop and café. The lighthouse itself is still in operation, making it the second-oldest intact and still-operational lighthouses in the world.



German version:

Das ist Irlands ältester Leuchtturm in Betrieb und der zweitältetste weltweit. Er wacht über die markante Hook Head Landzunge, die Einfahrt ins Mündungsgebiet der "drei Schwestern" - der Flüsse Barrow, Nore und Suir.



Die Landzunge der Hook Halbinsel heißt auf Irisch "Rinn Dubháin", was soviel wie "Dubhán's Kap" bedeutet. Dubhán war ein walisischer Missionar, der im 5. Jahrhundert nach Irland kam und auf der Halbinsel ein Kloster gründete. Er und seine Mönche errichteten einen Turm und entzündeten Leuchtfeuer an der Landspitze um Seefahrer vor den gefährlichen Felsen des Küstenabschnitts in die Einfahrt dieses natürlichen Hafens zu warnen. Ein paar Jahrhunderte später benannten die einfallenden Wikinger diese Mündung "Vadra Fiord", die "Wettermündung", der Ursprung des Namens "Waterford", wie die angrenzende Grafschaft und regionale Hauptsatdt heute noch heißt. 



Der heutige Leuchtturm wurde im 12. Jahrhundert unmittelbar nach der Invasion der Normannen errichtet, und zwar von William Marshall, den Earl of Pembroke und Schwiegersohn von Strongbow. William Marshall errichtete einen Hafen flußaufwärts in New Ross und war daher auf eine sichere Fahrt durch die Mündung in den Waterford Harbour angewiesen. 


Die Mönche blieben Hüter des Feuers im Turm bis zur Auflösung der Klöster 1540 unter Henry VIII. Nachdem die Mönche vertrieben wurden erlosch das Licht am Kap, zahlreiche Schiffbrüche entlang des Küstenabschnitts waren die Folge. Im 17. Jahrhundert verlangten Seefahrer und Kaufleute dass das Signalfeuer wieder entfacht wird. In den 1670ern wurden neue Leuchtturmwächter bestellt und die erste Glaslaterne wurde im Turm eingebaut um das Kohlefeuer vor den Elementen zu schützen.


Nachdem es Beschwerden über das schwache Lichtsignal des Kohlefeuers gab, wurde es 1791 durch eine Öllampe mit Walöl ersetzt. Im Laufe des frühen 19. Jahrhunderts wurden weitere Verbesserungen vorgenommen und 1860 erhielt die Leuchtlaterne ihre heutige Form. Im Jahr 1911 wurde das Walöl durch Paraffinöl ersetzt, und erst 1972 wurde elektrisches Licht eingeführt. 1996 wurde der Leuchtturm vollautomatisiert und der letzte Leuchtturmwächter verließ den Posten.


Heute ist der Leuchtturm für die Öffentlichkeit zugänglich und die Behausung der Leuchtturmwächter dient als Besucherzentrum, Café und Souvenirshop. Der Leuchturm selbst ist nach wie vor in Betrieb und ist demnach der zweitälteste intakte funktionstüchtige Leuchtturm weltweit. 



2 comments:

  1. Nice to read your blog. It is very good and it helps a lot. Your way of writing is very good and it is quite interesting.Thanks for sharing this type of blog writing with us.
    student accommodation sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting,good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.
    your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it.
    You’re doing a great job.Keep it up
    student accommodation brisbane

    ReplyDelete