7 Oct 2013

Castles of Ireland: Cahir Castle, Co. Tipperary

Cahir Castle in County Tipperary is one of the largest and best preserved castles in Ireland, with its photogenic towers, the sturdy keep and high defensive walls it is a picture-perfect example of what a medieval fortress should look like. No big surprise then that the castle was eventually "discovered" by the film industry and featured in several movies and TV series.



(scroll down for german version!)



Before the castle there was a stone fortress on a rocky island in the River Suir. In Irish "stone fort" or "fortress of stone" is called "cathair" and anglizised  "caher" or "cahir" - hence the name of the place.
Conor O'Brien, Prince of the ancient kingdom of Thomond and descendant of no other than High King Brian Boru, built the stone fort in 1142 on the site of the remains of an earlier fortification. The strategic position on the river island provided the fortress with a natural moat to prevent enemies from climbing the walls. 
And the O'Brien Clan needed every help they could get to protect their strongholds - invading Anglo-Normans were roaming through their kingdom and feuding Irish Clans in the neighbouring vicinity contemplated siding with the Invaders. By the end of the 12th century Munster and many parts of Ireland were overthrown, the O'Brien's ousted and the new Overlord Theobald Walter, 1st Baron of Butler, ancestor of the Butler family in Ireland, moved in.
A few years later, in 1375 the castle was officially granted to James Butler, 3rd Earl of Ormonde by the English Crown.

The earliest structures in the inner courtyard
The River Suir provides the castle with a natural moat
The new owners started extensive renovations, revamping and expansions. The small settlement around the castle quickly grew into a vibrant little town. Over the years the Butler family became very pro-irish and even joined the Irish Clans in their battle against english troops during the Nine Year War. In 1599 the Butler garrisons found themselves besieged by the troops of the Earl of Essex. Three long days the castle was bombarded with constant cannon fire, until the Butler's finally surrendered. One of the cannonballs stuck in the wall of the north-east tower can still be marvelled at today.
The Butler's were pardoned and regained possession of the castle a year later, only to lose it again to the forces of Oliver Cromwell a few decades later in 1650.
But only a few years later in another lucky historical twist the Cahir-Butler family managed to secure the ownership of their ancestral homestead once again and lived there happily ever after.
When the last of the Cahir Butler's died in 1961, the castle was given to the Irish Nation and became a National Monument.  

The inner courtyard
The castle's interior

In 1975 the castle had its first appearance in a major Hollywood Production: Stanley Kubrick chose the picturesque inner wards of the castle to portrait a Prussian military encampment, in his movie "Barry Lyndon".
 In 1981 it was used for  battle scenes of  the film "Excalibur" starring Nigel Terry, Liam Neeson and a young Helen Mirren.
In 1999 the castle was featured in the children's TV series "Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog" and finally in more recent times Cahir Castle was used as a backdrop for the popular TV series "The Tudors".

The middle courtyard

The third courtyard, added in the 16th century

The castle can be visited year-round, there's lots to see - the three courtyards, the massive three story keep, the smaller towers, the gate to the inner ward, which is protected by a lifting iron gate, and the big Hall, where the Butler's entertained their guests. Visitors are even allowed to climb parts the fortress walls (at your own risk, mind you) and enjoy the view of the colourful houses in town. The inner courtyard and its buildings are the earliest structures of the castle, the third outer ward was added in the 16th century. The cottage within the third ward was built in the 19th century and houses a small exhibition room showing an interesting audio-visual presentation on the history of the castle. 

The mechanism for the portcullis, the iron gate
The gate
The steps leading up the castle walls
View over Cahir town

 deutsche Version:

Cahir Castle in der Grafschaft Tipperary ist eine der größten und am besten erhaltenen Burgen in Irland, mit ihren fotogenen Türmen, dem robusten Bergfried und den hohen Verteidigungsmauern ist sie eine mittelalterliche Festung wie aus dem Bilderbuch. Kein großes Wunder also, daß auch die Filmindustrie dieses Juwel für die Leinwand "entdeckt" hat und die Burg in mehreren Filmen und TV Serien einen Auftritt hat.

 

Knock knock...

 Bevor hier eine Burg stand, gab es eine Befestigungsanlage aus Stein auf einer Felseninsel im Fluss Suir. Auf Irisch heißt "Festung aus Stein" "cathair" und wurde zu "caher" oder "cahir" anglisiert - daher stammt der Name für diesen Ort.
Conor O'Brien, Prinz des alten Königreichs von Thomond und Nachfahre keines Geringeren als des Hochkönigs Brian Boru, baute die Befestigung im Jahre 1142 auf den Resten einer früheren Verteidigungsanlage. Durch die strategische Position auf der Felseninsel mitten im Fluss hatte die Festung einen natürlichen Wassergraben, der Feinde daran hinderte die Wälle hoch zu klettern. Und der O'Brien Clan brauchte jede Hilfe, um ihre Hochburgen zu verteidigen - anglo-normannische Invasoren trieben sich in ihrem Königreich herum und verfeindete Irische Clans in der unmittelbaren Nachbarschaft dachten daran sich mit den Invasoren zu verbrüdern. Gegen Ende des 12. Jhdts. waren Munster und große Teile Irlands unterworfen, die O'Brien's abgelöst und der neue Lord Theobald Walter, Erster Baron von Butler, Urahn der Butler Familie in Irland, zog in Cahir ein.
Einige Jahre später, anno 1375 wurde die Burg von der englischen Krone offiziell James Butler, dem Dritten Earl von Ormonde, zuerkannt.

atop the castle walls
The River Suir
Die neuen Besitzer begannen mit  umfassenden Renovationen, Umgestaltungen und Erweiterungen. Die kleine Ansiedlung rund um die Burg wuchs immer mehr zu einem lebhaften Städtchen heran.
Im Laufe der Jahre entwickelte die Butler Familie eine pro-irische Einstellung und schlug sich während des Neunjährigen Kriegs sogar auf die Seite der Irischen Clans in ihrem Kampf gegen die englischen Truppen. Im Jahre 1599 wurden die Butler Garnisonen von den Truppen des Earl of Essex belagert. Drei Tage lang stand die Burg unter Dauer-Kanonenbeschuß, bis sich die Butlers schließlich ergaben. Noch heute kann man eine der Kanonenkugeln, die in der Mauer des nord-östlichen Turms stecken geblieben ist, bewundern. 
Die Butlers wurden begnadigt und erhielten ein Jahr später ihre Burg zurück, nur um sie einige Jahrzehnte später, anno 1650 erneut zu verlieren - diesmal an die Armee Oliver Cromwells.
Aber Jahre später schafften die Cahir-Butlers es wieder durch eine glückliche Fügung der Geschichte und des Schicksals den Besitzanspruch ihrer angestammten Heimstatt zu sichern und lebten dort glücklich bis... tja, wenn sie nicht gestorben wären .... würden sie heute noch dort leben.
Im Jahre 1961 starb der letzte Erbe der Cahir-Butler Familie und die Burg ging an den Irischen Staat über und wurde zum Nationalen Denkmal ernannt. 

The second courtyard
1975 hatte die Burg ihren ersten Auftritt in einer großen Hollywood Produktion: Stanley Kubrick wählte die pitturesken Innenhöfe der Festung um ein Preussisches Feldlager im Film "Barry Lyndon" darzustellen.
1981 wurde die Burg in den Kampfszenen des Fims "Excalibur" mit Nigel Terry, Liam Neeson und einer jungen Helen Mirren in den Hauptrollen, gezeigt.
1999 wurde die Kinderserie "Mystic Knights - die Legende von Tir Na Nog" in der Burg von Cahir gedreht, und in jüngerer Vergangenheit hielt die Burg als Hintergrund für Szenen der bekannten TV Serie "The Tudors" her.

The River Suir
Die Burg kann das ganze Jahr über besichtigt werden, und es gibt viel zu sehen - die drei Innenhöfe, den massiven dreistöckigen Burgfried, die kleineren Ecktürme, den ersten Innenhof, der durch ein Fallgitter im Tor geschützt wird, und den großen Saal, in dem die Butlers ihre Gäste unterhalten haben. Man darf sogar (auf eigene Gefahr!) Teile der Burgmauer erklimmen und auf die bunten Häuser der Stadt herunterblicken. Der erste Innenhof und seine Gebäude sind die frühesten Bauten der Burg, der dritte äußere Hof wurde im 16. Jhdt. angebaut. Das kleine Haus im dritten Hof wurde im 19. Jhdt. gebaut, es beherbert heute einen kleinen Vorführraum mit einer interessanten audiovisuelle Präsentation der Geschichte der Burg.


















No comments:

Post a comment