15 May 2015

A walk around Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny

This small village, nestled in the rolling hills of Co. Kilkenny is also known as the "jewel of the south east" - a picturesque setting even Hollywood couldn't resist.



(scroll down for german version)

The name Inistioge derives from the Irish 'Inis Tíog', which means Tíog's island or meadow. Tíog is believed to have been a local chieftain. The place name has been spelt in many different ways: Inis-teac, Inis-tíock, Ennistioge or Ynysteoc have all been used over the centuries. 
The first written record of the village can be found in the 'Annals of the Four Masters' and tells of a battle between the kingdom of Ossary and an army of Vikings in the year 962 AD. The area always held some significance, as it was one of the major crossing points of the river Nore. Inistioge is also associated with St. Columcille, one of the three Irish patron saints. It is believed he established a monastery here in the 6th century.

The village square


With the arrival of the Normans the area was granted to Thomas FitzAnthony, Senechal of Leinster, and founder of Thomastown, a few miles upriver. In 1210 Thomas FitzAnthony established an Augustinian Priory in Inistioge. The Prior's tower, also known as 'Black Castle' looks more like the fortified tower houses of  medieval lords at the time.
The Belfry tower and the cloisters were added much later in the 16th century under the patronage of Milo Baron Fitzgerald, the Bishop of Ossary and last Prior of Inistioge. Only a few years later, in 1540 AD, the Augustinian Priory was suppressed by the order of Henry VIII.
Today, St. Mary's Church stands on the grounds of the old monastery. It was built in 1824 and a few years later, in 1836 St. Columcille's Church was built next to it. Remains of the old monastery have been incorporated into the north and east walls around the church.

The Black Castle and St. Mary's belfry
Parts of the old monestery
What the monastery probably looked like...



The picturesque 10-arch bridge that spans the river Nore was built in 1765 to replace a wooden bridge that was washed away during a flood two years earlier. In medieval times the river was crossed by a ford, traces of it are still visible next to the bridge when water levels are low.
The remains of a two-storey medieval building known as 'The Hundred Court' can be found near the river banks, close to where the Mill Stream flows into the Nore. Old maps show that a corn mill once stood here in the 19th century, today only the ruins of the mill house remain.
 
The river Nore with bridge
The mill stream
The medieval Hundred Court
About two kilometres south of Inistioge lies the extensive Woodstock Estate, overlooking the village. It was home to the prominent Tighe family for centuries. The Tighe's had a major influence on the development of the village and surrounding area. One of their more famous members was the poet Mary Tighe. She died in 1810 only 38 years old and is buried in a vault, locally known as the 'Stone House', in the old graveyard of St. Mary's Church. Other members of the Tighe family found their final resting place inside the remains of the 'Black Castle'.
Sarah Fownes Tighe, another member of the Tighe family built an Almshouse on the village square in 1788 to care for the widows of the district. Today the Almshouse is part of O'Donnell's Pub.
The square itself was also developed under the partonage of the Tighe family. It was and still is the focus of village life with weekly markets and annual fairs.

Mary Tighe's Stone House
The old Almshouse
In the 1990s Hollywood discovered Inistioge. Blockbuster movies like 'Circle of Friends' starring Minnie Driver and Chris O'Donnell, and 'Widow's Peak' with Mia Farrow and Natasha Richardson were filmed in the quaint little village. There's even a 'Circle of Friends'- Cafe near the village square. Filming for the movie 'The Secret Scripture' (based on the novel by Sebastian Barry) with Rooney Mara and Aidan Turner just recently finished in February, the film will be released later this year. 

Circle of Friends - Cafe


german version:

Das kleine Dorf inmitten sanfter Hügel in der Grafschaft Kilkenny ist auch als "Juwel des Süd-Ostens" bekannt - eine malerischen Kulisse, der auch Hollywood nicht widerstehen konnte.

 


Der Name Inistioge kommt aus dem Irischen 'Inis Tíog', was soviel wie Tíog's Insel oder Wiese bedeutet. Tíog war wohl ein lokaler Stammesfürst. Der Ortsname wurde oft auf verschiedene Arten geschrieben: Inis-teac, Inis-tíock, Ennistioge or Ynysteoc sind alle durch die Jahrhunderte hindurch verwendet worden. 
Die erste Erwähnung fand das Dorf in den 'Annalen der vier Meister', wo von einer Schlacht zwischen dem Königreich Ossary und einfallenden Wikingern anno 962 berichtet wird. Das Gebiet hatte immer eine gewisse Bedeutung, da hier der Fluß Nore am leichtesten zu durchqueren war. 
Inistioge ist auch mit dem Hl. Columba, einem der drei Schutzheiligen Irlands, verbunden - er soll hier im 6. Jhdt. am Flußufer ein Kloster gegründet haben.


Inistioge in spring

Als die Normannen Irland beherrschten wurde das Gebiet Thomas FitzAnthony, dem Seneschal von Leinster und Gründer der Stadt Thomastown ein paar Meilen flußaufwärts,  zugesprochen. Thomas FitzAnthony gründete anno 1210 das Augustinerkloster in Inistioge. Der Turm des Klosters, auch 'Black Castle' genannt, gleicht eher einer Festung der damaligen Lords. 
Der Glockenturm und der Kreuzgang des Klosters wurden erst viel später im 16. Jhdt. unter der Schirmherrschaft von Milo Baron Fitzgerald, Bischof von Ossary und Inistioge's letzter Prior, gebaut.  Anno 1540, nur ein paar Jahre später wurde das Kloster unter König Henry VIII geschlossen.
Heute steht die St. Mary's Kirche im südlichen Teil des einstigen Klosters. Sie wurde 1824 erbaut und einige Jahre später anno 1836 wurde die St. Columba Kirche daneben errichtet. Überreste der einstigen Klostermauern wurden in die Nord- und Ostmauer der Kirche eingebaut. 

The old graveyard,  site of the Augustinian Priory

Die malerische 10-Bogen-Brücke, die den Fluß Nore überspannt, wurde im Jahre 1765 errichtet. Sie sollte eine Holzbrücke ersetzten, die zwei Jahre zuvor bei einer Flut weggeschwemmt wurde. Im Mittelalter wurde der Fluß noch an der Furt überquert, Spuren davon sind direkt neben der Brücke bei niedrigen Wasserpegel noch zu sehen.
Die Überreste eines zweistöckigen mittelalterlichen Turms bekannt als 'das Hundertergericht' stehen am Flußufer, dort wo der Mühlbach in den Nore mündet. Alte Karten zeigen noch die Getreidemühle, die dort einst im 19. Jhdt. stand - heute sind nur noch die Ruinen des Mühlhauses übrig.


Zwei Kilometer südlich von Inistioge thront das weitläufige Woodstock Anwesen über dem Dorf. Es war jahrhundertelang das Zuhause der bedeutsamen Tighe Familie. Die Tighes' hatten einen großen Einfluß auf die Geschehnisse und die Entwicklung von Inistioge und Umgebung. Eines ihrer bekanntesten Mitglieder war die Dichterin Mary Tighe. Sie starb nur 38jährig und liegt am alten Friedhof der St. Mary's Kirche in einem Mausoleum begraben, das als 'Steinhaus' bekannt ist. Andere Mitglieder der Tighe Familie haben im Turm des 'Black Castle' ihre letzte Ruhestätte gefunden.
Sarah Fownes Tighe, ein weiteres Mitglied, ließ 1788 am Dorfplatz ein Armenhaus für Witwen aus der Region errichten. Heute ist das Armenhaus Teil des O'Donnell Pubs.
Der Dorfplatz selbst wurde auch unter der Schirmherrschaft der Tighe Familie gestaltet - er war und ist immer noch Dreh- und Angelpunkt des Dorflebens und Platz für Wochenmärkte und Dorffeste.


In den 1990er Jahren wurde Inistioge von Hollywood entdeckt. Blockbuster Filme wie 'Circle of Friends - Im Kreise der Freunde' mit Minnie Driver und Chris O'Donnell und 'Die Witwen von Widow's Peak' mit Mia Farrow und Natasha Richardson wurden hier gedreht. Es gibt sogar ein 'Circle of Friends'-Café im Dorf. Die Dreharbeiten für den Film 'Ein verborgenes Leben' (nach dem gleichnamigen Roman von Sebastian Barry) mit Rooney Mara und Aidan Turner wurden gerade erst im Februar fertig gestellt, der Film erscheint im Spätherbst.



No comments:

Post a Comment