17 Apr 2013

Magical Places: Murrisk Abbey - in the shadow of the "Reek"

At the foot of Ireland's sacred mountain Croagh Patrick and overlooking Clew Bay lie the ruins of Murrisk Abbey. The name Murrisk stems from the Irish Muraisc, meaning sea-marsh. The abbey was dedicated to St. Patrick and relics of the Saint were kept here, making it a very popular pilgrim destination.


Murrisk Abbey



 (scroll down for german version)


But of course there were pilgrims here before.
According to legend St. Patrick climbed the mountain in 441 AD, spent the forty days of Lent up there, fasting and doing penance, and - to top it all off - killing the demon Caoranach aka the "Devil's mother" by throwing a sacred bell at her and banishing all snakes (i.e. Pagans) from the island of Ireland. This impressive deed was to be celebrated and commemorated ever since.


But Croagh Patrick, or the "Reek", as it is locally known ("Croagh" and "reek" both meaning "stack"), was a place of worship even long before St. Patrick arrived here.
Before the mountain was named after St. Patrick it was called Cruachán Aigle, "the stack of Aigle", Aigle either being a person's name or meaning "Eagle". The mountain is mentioned in many old scriptures, like the Annals of Ulster, and associated with Lugh, the god of Light, and Lughnasa, the "feast of the first fruits of harvest" at the end of July. Archaeological excavations discovered a Celtic hill fort encircling the summit, indicating that this mountain was a place of spiritual significance and pilgrimage as far back as 3,000 BC. This would suggest that pilgrims have been flocking here for the past 5,000 years!


View of Croagh Patrick, the "holy mountain", shrouded in mist

View over Clew Bay from Murrisk Millennium Park

The abbey was founded in 1457 by Augustinian friars, on land granted to them by the famous O'Malley Clan who ruled the Clew Bay area for centuries.
It is believed that there was an earlier religious site where the Abbey was built, but no actual evidence of this has been found.
Only parts of the original abbey survive, the cloisters and all domestic buildings have disappeared. The small church has a beautiful east window "which once threw sunlight onto the altar", as the OPW sign at the abbey reads.
The Augustinian Friars climbed the holy mountain to pray regularly and created a new pilgrim's path up to the summit, the original pilgrim's route "Tochar Phadraig" ran via Ballintober Abbey along the south-eastern slopes of Croagh Patrick.

The east window

During the reign of Elizabeth I. and the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the land was leased to James Garvey, the brother of the Archbishop of Armagh. From 1578 until 1801 no documentation regarding the friary has been found and little is known about the fate of the friars, but it is believed that they suffered persecution during this time.
In 1801 the Archbishop of Tuam noted that there was only one friar living at Murrisk Abbey. In the mid 19th century the abbey was eventually given up and abandoned, a Fr. Philipp Staunton appears to have been the last monk living in Murrisk Abbey, he later died in Ballintober Abbey, just a few kilometres away.
Clew Bay

Grave Inscription
The cemetery is still in use today
Along the small road that leads down to the abbey ruins you pass the entrance to Murrisk Millennium Peace Park with the impressive National Famine Monument. The bronze sculpture by artist John Behan depicts one of the infamous "Coffin Ships", skeletons symbolise the many emigrants that didn´t survive the terrible conditions aboard these ships. It was unveiled in 1997 by President Mary Robinson, a sister monument in New York, showing survivors debarking the ship was unveiled in 2001.

The Famine Monument by John Behan


Am Fuße des Croagh Patricks, dem heiligsten Berg Irlands, und die Clew Bay Bucht überblickend, liegen die Ruinen des Murrisk Klosters. Der Name Murrisk stammt vom Irischen Muaraisc ab, was soviel wie Meeresmarsch bedeutet. Die Abtei war dem Hl. Patrick gewidmet und Reliquien des Heiligen sollen hier aufbewahrt worden sein, was natürlich viele Pilger anlockte.


Aber natürlich gab es Pilger schon lange zuvor.
Der Legende nach erklimmte der Hl. Patrick den Berg im Jahre 441 n. Chr., verbrachte die Fastenzeit dort oben, tat Buße und tötete außerdem die Dämonin Caoranach, auch bekannt als die "Mutter des Teufels", indem er eine gesegnete Glocke nach ihr warf und vertrieb gleichzeitig die Schlangen (bzw. die Heiden) von der Insel Irland. Diesen beindruckenden Taten wird seither gedacht und Tribut gezollt.

Aber Croagh Patrick, oder der "Reek", wie er auch genannt wird ("Croagh" und "Reek" bedeuten beide "Haufen" oder "Stapel") war schon ein Platz der Anbetung bevor der Hl. Patrick hier ankam.
Bevor der Berg nach dem Hl. Patrick benannt wurde, hieß er Cruachán Aigle, "der Stapel von Aigle", wobei Aigle entweder der Name einer Person ist oder "Adler" heißt. Der Berg wird in vielen alten Skripten wie z.B. den "Annalen von Ulster" erwähnt und wird oft mit Lugh, dem Gott des Lichts und Lughnasa, dem "Fest der ersten Erntefrüchte"  Ende Juli in Verbindung gebracht. Bei archäologischen Ausgrabungen wurde ein keltisches Hügel Fort entdeckt, daß den Gipfel umrahmte. Ein Hinweis darauf, daß dieser Berg schon 3,000 v. Chr. ein Platz von spiritueller Bedeutung gewesen sein muß. Das würde heißen, daß schon seit 5,000 Jahren Pilger hierher strömen!
Die Abtei wurde 1457 von Augustinern gegründet, das Land wurde ihnen vom berühmten O'Malley Clan zur Verfügung gestellt, die das Gebiet um die Clew Bay jahrhundertelang beherrschten.
Es wird angenommen, daß sich zuvor schon eine andere religiöse Stätte hier befand, obwohl davon keine Überreste gefunden werden konnten.
Nur Teile der ursprünglichen Abtei haben überlebt, der Kreuzgang und sämtliche Haushaltstrakte der Abtei sind verschwunden. In der kleinen Kirche gibt es ein wunderschönes Ost-Fenster, "welches einst das Sonnenlicht auf den Altar warf" - wie es auf dem Schild der OPW ("Office of Public Works" - die historische Gebäudeverwaltung) in der Abtei zu lesen ist.
Die Augustiner kletterten regelmäßig auf die Bergspitze um zu beten und legten so einen neuen Pilgerpfad auf den Gipfel an, der ursprüngliche Pfad, genannt "Tochor Phadraig" verlief über die Abtei von Ballintober entlang der süd-östlichen Hänge des Croagh Patrick.

Während der Herrschaft Elizabeth I. und der "Auflösung aller Klöster" wurde das Land an den Bruder des Erzbischofs von Armagh, James Garvey, verpachtet. Von 1578 bis 1801 gibt es keine Aufzeichnungen über das Kloster und wenig ist über das Schicksal der einzelnen Brüder bekannt, aber es wird angenommen, daß auch sie in dieser Zeit Opfer der religiösen Verfolgung wurden.
Im Jahre 1801 hielt der Erzbischof von Tuam schriftlich fest, in der Abtei von Murrisk lebe zu diesem Zeitpunkt nur ein einziger Mönch. Mitte des 19. Jhdts. wurde die Abtei schließlich aufgegeben und verlassen, ein gewisser Vater Philipp Staunton war anscheinend der letzte Mönch, der in der Abtei von Murrisk wohnte, er verstarb später in der nur wenige Kilometer entfernten Ballintober Abtei.

An der schmalen Strasse, die zum Kloster führt liegt auch der Eingang zum Murrisk Millennium Peace Park, mit dem eindrucksvollen Nationalen Hungersnot Denkmal. Die Skulptur aus Bronze wurde vom Künstler John Behan gestaltet und zeigt eines der berüchtigten "Sarg Schiffe", Skelette symbolisieren die vielen Emigranten, die die fürchterlichen Bedingungen an Bord dieser Schiffe nicht überlebten. Das Monument wurde 1997 von der damaligen Präsidentin Mary Robinson enthüllt, ein Schwester-Denkmal steht seit 2001 in New York und zeigt Überlebende, die von Bord des Schiffes gehen.


No comments:

Post a Comment