1 Jun 2013

Sligo Abbey - the Fires and the Shadows

Irish history is full of terrifying and violent events - invasions, battles, raids, enslavement, pestilence, famines,  pillages, blood and thunder. The Dominican Friary of the Holy Cross in the heart of Sligo town has seen all of the above.





 (runterscrollen für deutsche Version)

The Dominican Friary of the Holy Cross, or  'Sligo Abbey' as it is more commonly known,  was founded in 1253 by Maurice Fitzgerald, the 2nd Lord of Offaly. Today it is the only medieval building that survives in the town, but back then in the mid 13th century it stood proud next to Sligo castle. Nothing remains of the castle, it was partly destroyed in the 14th century and finally demolished in 1595 by Hugh O'Donnell to prevent it from falling into the hands of the English.
Sligo had its share of battles between feuding Chieftains and against the English and Cromwellian armies. As a strategically important port on the north-west coast of Ireland it was pivotal in guarding the coastal passage between the provinces of Connacht and Ulster.
The town and the abbey were plundered, burnt down, destroyed and rebuilt many times over through the centuries.


The abbey is the burial place of Kings and Princes and some of the wealthiest families of Sligo, including Tighernan O'Rourke, King of Breifne, and Sir Donagh O'Conor and other chieftains of the O'Conor Sligo clan. Their tombs show elaborate gothic and renaissance carvings.


The elaborate altar tomb of the O'Creans, the wealthiest family in Sligo in the 16th century

In 1414 the abbey burnt down, when a candle accidentally started a fire, but it was quickly rebuilt in its present form.

In 1595 during the Tyrone Rebellion or 'Nine Year War' of Irish Chieftains against English rule in Ireland, the town and the abbey was again burnt down and rebuilt.

The Dominican Friary of the Holy Cross

On 1 July 1642 Cromwell's armies under the command of Sir Frederick Hamilton rampaged through Sligo town killing everyone in sight, including 300 women and children. The town was ransacked, the abbey pillaged and the remaining dispossessed Irish in the area whose land was handed over to Cromwell's soldiers, were shipped off to the Caribbean and sold as slaves to the Westindian sugar plantations.
The story goes, that the abbey's silver bell was saved by the locals and hidden at the bottom of nearby Lough Gill. Legend says only those free from sin can hear it, when occasionally it peals over the town.
W. B. Yeats wrote a short story about this horrendous day in Sligo's history, entitled 'The Curse of the Fires and the Shadows'.

The well preserved cloisters

An edict of banishment was imposed on the friars in 1698, when the abbey was seized again by the English crown. Sir Donagh O'Conor, Lord of Sligo from the O'Conor Sligo Clan, petitioned to Elizabeth I not to dissolve the Friary. His petition was granted under the condition that the friars became secular.
The friars stayed in the abbey up until the 1760s, when they built and  relocated to another Friary in town. The Order is still in town today.

The Nave and Choir with a Rood Screen separating the laity from the friars

East Ambulatory

Although the abbey was abandoned, the graveyard was still in use.
In 1832 a cholera epidemic broke out, causing more deaths in Sligo than in any other place in Ireland. 
Bram Stoker's mother, Charlotte Thornley, lived in Sligo town during the epidemic. In her diary the then 14-year-old girl described the desperate conditions in the town. The living struggled to bury their dead, hundreds of coffins and bodies were brought into the disused abbey, the only consecrated grounds in town. Sometimes the dying were just left there unconscious, as the living were afraid they might catch the disease.  When bodies were piling high on the altar, the town decided to close the abbey graveyard and built a new cemetery a mile outside town. Some people of Sligo, however, wanted their relatives to be buried in the holy grounds of the friary and sneaked out in the middle of the night to exhume and rebury their loved ones in shallow graves all around the abbey. All these additional 'graves' led to a rising of several feet in the ground level around the abbey walls.

Cloister Garth

gravestone along the cloister arcades
It is believed that Charlotte told these stories of the cholera epidemic and the gruesome details of the midnight burials to little Bram Stoker and so somehow sparked his morbid imagination and contributed to the birth of Count Dracula.
During the famine years in the mid 19th century Sligo was again hit hard - people were dying in the streets, fields laying bare for years. Emigration ships left from Sligo port, emptying the countryside and leaving behind a haunted land.




Walking through the abbey grounds on a rainy afternoon, I couldn't quite shake this eerie feeling - perceiving the violent history of the place, the ghosts of the past seem to linger in every corner. 
It didn't get any better when I stumbled upon another weird item: 
At the threshold to the sacristy, lies a mysterious gravestone. Part of the inscription on this grave slab has been removed, chiseled out, as if to wipe out all details of the deceased. Also, the word 'body' is spelled wrong, it reads: 

Here lyeth the Boby of
James --- who Died 
Dc the ---- ----
Aged --- years.
Erected by his mother.
-----  ----- ------


puzzling inscription
The abbey brochure tries to give an explanation - poor James might have been exhumed and reinterred somewhere else with his family, thus rendering the gravestone useless.
Or he and his mother somehow brought shame on the family, maybe James was born out of wedlock? 
There's also an explanation of the rather comical misspelling of the word 'Body' - apparently it was not uncommon for stonemasons to be illiterate back then, resulting in such minor mistakes...


doorway
Despite or maybe because of its spooky ambiance, Sligo Abbey is definitely worth a visit. There's a little visitors centre where you can either book a guided tour or get a copy of the Abbey brochure and start your self-guided walk around the old walls. 
Admission: 
Adults € 3.00
Children: € 1.00


cloister with black cat


Die irische Geschichte ist voll von furchteinflößenden und gewaltätigen Ereignissen - Invasionen,  Kämpfe, Überfälle, Versklavungen, Seuchen, Hungersnöte, Brandschatzungen, Mord und Totschlag. Das Dominikanische Kloster des heiligen Kreuzes in Herzen der Stadt Sligo hat all das gesehen.

 


Das Dominikanische Kloster des heiligen Kreuzes ist allgemein unter dem Namen 'Sligo Abbey' bekannt und wurde im Jahr 1253 von Maurice Fitzgerald, dem zweiten Lord von Offaly gegründet. Heute ist das Kloster das einzig verbliebene mittelalterliche Gebäude in der Stadt, aber damals in der Mitte des 13. Jhdts stand es stolz neben der Burg Sligo. Von der Burg gibt es keine Spuren mehr, sie wurde im 14. Jhdt. teilweise zerstört und schließlich 1595 von Hugh O'Donnell dem Erdboden gleich gemacht, um zu verhindern, daß sie den Engländern in die Hände fällt.

Sligo hat eine Menge Schlachten zwischen befehdenden Stammesfürsten und gegen die Armeen der Engländer und Cromwells erlebt. Sligo wurde immer als strategisch wichtige Hafenstadt an der Nordwest Küste Irlands gesehen, ein Dreh- und Angelpunkt und entscheidend für die Kontrolle des Küstenabschnitts zwischen den Provinzen Connacht und Ulster. Die Stadt und das Kloster wurden im Laufe der Jahrhunderte immer wieder geplündert, nieder gebrannt, zerstört und wieder aufgebaut.

Das Kloster ist die Begräbnisstätte vieler Könige und Prinzen und der reichsten Familien aus Sligo, wie Tighernan O'Rourke, König von Breifne, und Sir Donagh O'Conor und anderer Stammesfürsten des O'Conor Sligo Clan. Ihre Gruften sind sehr aufwendig mit gotischen und Renaissance Steinmustern verziert.

Im Jahre 1414 brannte das Kloster völlig aus, als eine Kerze aus Versehen ein Feuer entfachte. Das Kloster wurde aber sehr schnell in seiner heutigen Form wieder aufgebaut.
Während der Rebellion von Tyrone, bzw. dem 'Neunjährigen Krieg' der irischen Stammesfürsten gegen die englische Besatzung, wurde 1595 die Stadt und das Kloster erneut niedergebrannt und wieder aufgebaut.
Am 1. Juli 1642 fiel die Armee Cromwells unter dem Kommando von Sir Frederick Hamilton in Sligo ein und tötete jeden in Sichtweite, inklusive 300 Frauen und Kinder. Die Stadt wurde geplündert und das Kloster gebranntschatzt. Die übrigen entrechteten Iren der Region, deren Landbesitz unter den Soldaten Cromwells aufgeteilt wurde, wurden in die Karibik verschifft und dort als Sklaven auf diverse Zuckerrohrplantagen verteilt.
Eine Legende erzählt, daß die Silberglocke des Klosters von den Bewohnern am Grund des nahegelegenen See Lough Gill vor den Plünderern versteckt wurde und nur diejenigen, die frei von Sünde sind, können ihr Läuten vernehmen, wenn die Glocke zu bestimmten Anlässen ertönt.
Der Dichter W. B. Yeats hat eine Kurzgeschichte über diesen schrecklichen Tag in der Geschichte Sligos verfasst, sie nennt sich 'The Curse of the Fires and the Shadows' - 'Der Fluch der Feuer und der Schatten'.

Im Jahre 1698 wurde von der englischen Krone die Verbannung über die Mönche ausgesprochen. Sir Donagh O'Conor, Lord von Sligo vom O'Conor Sligo Clan schrieb eine Petition an Königin Elizabeth I und bat, die Mönche zu verschonen und das Kloster nicht aufzulösen. Die Petition wurde unter der Voraussetzung, die Mönche legen ihren Glauben ab, genehmigt und die Mönche durften weiter im Kloster wohnen. Sie blieben bis in die 1760er Jahre, bis sie ein neues Kloster in der Stadt erbauten und bezogen. Auch heute ist der Mönchsorden noch in der Stadt.

Obwohl das Kloster aufgegeben wurde, blieb der Friedhof doch weiter in Gebrauch.
1832 brach eine Cholera Epedemie aus, die mehr Tote in Sligo forderte als in irgendeinem anderen Teil des Landes.
Bram Stokers Mutter, Charlotte Thornley, lebte damals in der Stadt Sligo. In ihrem Tagebuch schilderte die damals 14jährige die desperaten Zustände in der Stadt. Die Lebenden quälten sich mit der Bestattung ihrer Toten, hunderte Särge und Leichen wurden in das leerstehende Kloster gebracht, dem einzigen geweihten Boden in der Stadt. Manchmal wurden die Sterbenden einfach bewußtlos dort abgelegt, weil sich die Lebenden davor fürchteten, angesteckt zu werden. Als die Leichen sich schon am Altar türmten, beschloß die Stadt den Klosterfriedhof zu schließen und eine Meile außerhalb der Stadt einen neuen zu eröffnen. Einige Stadtbewohner wollten ihre Verwandten allerdings im geweihten Boden des Klosters begraben und schlichen sich mitten in der Nacht hinaus, um ihre Verstorbenen auszugraben und rund ums Kloster zu verscharen. All diese zusätzlichen "Gräber" führten dazu, daß sich der Grund um die Klostermauern um ca einen Meter hob. 

Charlotte soll diese Geschichten der Cholera Epidemie und die schaurigen Details der nächtlichen Begräbnisse dem kleinen Bram Stoker erzählt haben, und hat so wohl seine morbide Phanatsie entzündet und möglicherweise zur Geburt des Grafen Dracula beigetragen.
Während der Jahre der Hungersnot in der Mitte des 19. Jhdts wurde Sligo wieder hart getroffen - Menschen starben auf offener Straße, die Felder lagen jahrelang brach. Auswanderersschiffe legten vom Hafen in Sligo ab, entvölkerten die Region und ließen ein heimgesuchtes Land zurück.

Als ich an einem verregneten Nachmittag durch das Kloster spazierte, konnte ich dieses schaurige Gefühl einfach nicht loswerden, ich konnte die gewaltätige Geschichte des Ortes fast spüren, die Geistern der Vergangenheit waren scheinbar in jeder Ecke gegenwärtig.
Es wurde nicht besser, als ich über ein weiteres unheimliches Objekt stolperte.
An der Türschwelle zur Sakristei liegt ein mysteriöser Grabstein. Teile der Inschrift auf der Steinplatte wurden entfernt, ausgemeißelt, als wollte man alle Details des Verstorbenenen ausmerzen.
Außerdem wurde das Wort "Body" - Leichnam - falsch geschrieben, dort steht:

Hier liegt der Boby
von James --- der starb
Dez dem ----
Im Alter von ---
Errichtet von seiner Mutter
----- ----- -----

Die Broschüre des Kloster versucht sich an einer Erklärung - der arme James wurde möglicherweise exhumiert und andernorts mit seiner Familie beisetzt, daher wurde der Grabstein nutzlos.
Oder er und seine Mutter brachten auf irgendeine Art Schande über die Familie, vielleicht wurde James ja unehelich zur Welt gebracht?
In der Broschüre wird auch der unfreiwillig komische Schreibfehler des Wortes "Body" erklärt - scheinbar war es damals nicht ungewöhnlich für Steinmetze, die nicht lesen und schreiben konnten, die Inschriften auf Grabsteine zu meißeln, dabei kam es ab und an zu solch kleinen Fehlern...

Abgesehen von oder vielleicht gerade wegen der gespenstigen Atmosphäre ist das Kloster von Sligo auf jeden Fall einen Besuch wert. Im kleinen Besucherzentrum kann man entweder eine geführte Tour des Klosters buchen, oder aber mit Hilfe der Broschüre die Anlage selbst erkunden.
Eintritt:
Erwachsene € 3.00
Kinder € 1.00






No comments:

Post a comment