15 Jan 2015

Magical Places: Rathfran Priory, Co. Mayo

On the banks of the tidal Cloonaghmore River where it flows into the Atlantic Ocean lie the remains of Rathfran Priory, also known as the 'Priory of the Holy Cross'. It is one of the earliest monastic foundations in the Province of Connacht.

 


(scroll down for german version)

The place name Rathfran derives from the old Irish 'Rath Bhrannaibh' which translates to 'Bran's fort'. Bran was a common celtic name for men and means 'the raven'.
In the 5th century the lands around Rathfran belonged to a territory known as 'Tir Amhlaidh' named after the local chieftain King Amhlaidh. The anglicised version of the name is Awley and when Ireland was shired into counties it survived in the name of  the historical 'Barony of Tirawly'. 
King Amhlaidh is believed to be the grandfather of the local Saint Cuimín, the nearby holy well and village of Kilcummin were named after him.
The area around Rathfran and North Mayo is dotted with ancient monuments of the neolithic period like stone circles, wedge tombs and standing stones. The famous Céide Fields dating back nearly 6,000 years are only a few kilometers away. This remarkable archaeological site contains the most extensive and oldest known stone-walled field system in the world!



The Priory was founded after the Norman Invasion in 1274. It is the fifth oldest of the Priories in Connacht. 
There are different versions of who actually founded it. Some historians think it was Sir William de Burgh, grandson of Richard de Burgh, Lord Justice of Ireland. Other historians tell of Stephen de Exeter from Straide as the founder of Rathfran Priory. The Dominican Abbey in Straide was the mother house of the Priory in Rathfran. Bishop Thomas O'Donnell notes in his book 'The Diocese of Killala' written in 1976 that William de Burgh was married to Finola de Exeter, so both families were actually related. Then there are other historians, who believe the Priory was founded by a Sir Richard of Dexter, who later took the name MacJordan. The exact details might forever be lost in the mists of history. 



According to the Annals of Ulster a gruesome murder took place here in Februrary 1513. Edmond Burke, then ruler of North Connacht, was treacherously slain by Theobald Reagh and Edmund Ciocarach, sons of Edmonds brother Walter Burke. Edmond sought refuge inside the Priory, but his two nephews broke through the gates and murdered their uncle inside the sacred walls.
Only a few years later, in 1577 the Priory was dissolved during the dissolution of the monasteries and the lands were leased to Thomas Exeter.
In 1590 Richard Bingham, Lord President of Connacht, came through North Mayo on his campaign against the Mac Williams de Burgh. He burned all the monasteries he passed along his way the to the ground, including the three houses along Killala Bay - Rosserk Friary, Moyne Abbey and Rathfran Priory. 
Despite the destruction and dissolution the dominican friars associated with the Priory remained in the vicinity of Rathfran up until the end of the 18th century.




Across the small road from the Priory you'll find an old graveyard called Templemurry. It is named after the Church of the Virgin Mary ('Teampall Mhuire' in Irish) that once stood on the hill overlooking the river estuary. The small church is believed to have been there before the Priory was built. Today only faint traces of the church walls remain.
The graveyard seems ancient, many of the graves, tombs and headstones are weathered and overgrown. 
In the 1930s a wall had to be built on the river side of the cemetery to prevent erosion and coffins from being washed into the river and further into Rathfran Bay.



german version:

Am Ufer des Gezeitenflusses Cloonaghmore, dort wo er in den Atlantik mündet, steht die Klosterruine von Rathfran, auch bekannt als 'Kloster des Heiligen Kreuzes'. Es ist eine der ältesten Priorate in der Provinz Connacht.




Der Ortsname Rathfran leitet sich vom Irischen 'Rath Bhrannaibh' ab, was übersetzt 'Bran's Festung' heißt. Bran war ein üblicher keltischer Männername und bedeutet 'der Rabe'.
Im 5. Jhdt. gehörten die Ländereien um Rathfran zu einem Gebiet namens 'Tir Amhlaidh', das nach dem lokalen Stammesfürsten König Amhlaidh benannt wurde. Die anglisierte Version dieses Namens ist Awley und als Irland in Grafschaften unterteilt wurde, blieb der Name in der historischen 'Baronie von Tirawley' erhalten. 
König Amhlaidh ist der Großvater des Hl. Cuimín, nach dem die nahe gelegene heilige Quelle und das Dorf Kilcummin benannt wurde. 
In der Gegend um Rathfran und Nord Mayo finden sich viele historische Monumente aus der Bronzezeit wie Steinkreise, Keilgräber und Menhire. Die bekannten, fast 6000 Jahre alten Céide Fields liegen nur ein paar Kilometer weiter nördlich. Diese beeindruckende archäologische Ausgrabungsstätte unfasst das größte und älteste bekannte Feldsystem aus Steinmauern der Welt!




Das Kloster wurde anno 1274, nach der Normanischen Invasion gegründet. Es ist das fünftälteste Kloster in Connacht. 
Es gibt allerdings verschiedenen Versionen über die Gründung. Einige Historiker meinen das Kloster wurde von Sir William de Burgh, Enkel des Justiziar Irlands, Sir Richard de Burgh, gegründet. Andere wiederum glauben es war Stephen de Exeter aus Straide. Das Dominikanerkloster in Straide war jedenfalls das Mutterhaus des Priorats in Rathfran. Bischof Thomas O'Donnell erwähnt in seinem Buch 'Die Diozöse von Killala' aus dem Jahr 1976, daß William de Burgh mit Finola de Exeter verheiratet war, also waren diese beiden Familien miteinander verwandt. Es gibt aber auch Historiker, die annehmen das Kloster wurde von Sir Richard Dexter, der sich später in MacJordan umbenannte, gegründet. 
Die genauen Einzelheiten sind wohl für immer im Dunst der Geschichte verloren.






Laut den Annalen von Ulster ging hier im Februar des Jahres 1513 ein grausamer Mord von statten. Edmond Burke, damals Herrscher von Nord-Connacht wurde von Theobald Reagh und Edmund Ciocarach, den Söhnen seines Bruders Walter Burke, hinterhältig ermordet. Edmond hatte im Priorat Schutz vor seinen Neffen gesucht, doch die drangen ins Kloster ein und meuchelten ihren Onkel innerhalb der heiligen Mauern.
Nur ein paar Jahre später, anno 1577 wurde das Kloster im Zuge der Reformation aufgelöst und die Ländereien an Thomas Exeter übergeben.
Im Jahre 1590 kam der Lord President von Irland, Richard Bingham, durch Nord-Mayo, wo er gegen die MacWilliams de Burgh kämpfte. Er brannte alle Klöster entlang der Route nieder, auch die drei katholischen Häuser entlang der Bucht von Killala - Rosserk, Moyne und Rathfran. 
Trotz der Zerstörung und Auflösung der Priorate blieben die Brüder des alten Dominikanerklosters noch bis ins späte 18. Jahrhundert in der Gegend um Rathfran. 







Gegenüber, an der kleinen Straße die zur Klosterruine führt, liegt ein alter Friedhof namens Templemurry.  Er wurde nach der Kirche der Jungfrau Maria benannt ('Teampall Mhuire' auf Irisch), die einst hier auf dem Hügel über der Flußmündung stand.  Die kleine Kirche soll schon lange bevor das Kloster erbaut wurde hier gestanden haben. Heute findet man nur wenige Übereste der alten Kirchenmauer. 
Der Friedhof scheint auch uralt zu sein, viele der Gräber, Gruften und Grabsteine sind komplett überwachsen und verwittert.
In den Dreißigerjahren mußte an der Flußseite des Friedhofs eine Mauer errichtet werden, damit der Erosion Einhalt geboten  und verhindert werden konnte, daß Särge in den Fluß und weiter in die Bucht von Rathfran geschwemmt werden.


No comments:

Post a comment