21 Dec 2014

Magical Places: The Passage Tomb of Newgrange, Co. Meath

Every year at dawn on the winter solstice a beam of sunlight enters through a small opening above the entrance of the tomb and travels inward through the passage to illuminate the entire burial chamber for a few precious minutes. 

 

(scroll down for german version)

The first person to witness this spectacle in modern times was the archaeologist Michael J. O'Kelly. On the morning of December 21st 1967 he stood inside the dark burial chamber waiting for the midwinter sun to rise, wondering what might happen. During his excavation work he had heard many a tale from the local people about ancient traditions surrounding the rising sun. But no one had witnessed such an event inside the chamber of Newgrange for thousands of years. So Professor O'Kelly decided to try this out on the morning of winter solstice.
At exactly 8.58 GMT that morning a ray of sunlight broke through a small slit in the roof-box above the doorway. The beam of light widened and began to travel through the 19 metres long sloping tunnel until it reached the burial chamber. "The tomb was dramatically illuminated and various details of the side and end recesses could be clearly seen." (M.J. O'Kelly) 
A few minutes later the beam began to narrow and at 9.15 a.m. the light disappeared altogether. Professor O'Kelly was surrounded by complete and utter darkness again. 

The reconstructed entrance to the burial chamber

The majestic burial mound can be seen from afar

This phenomenon proved that the passage tomb at Newgrange was the oldest surviving structure aligned to the sun anywhere in the world. The alignment is too precise to be a coincidence, the builders of Newgrange seemed to have been paying great attention to the cycles of the sun, which meant marking the key turning points of the year to be able to control food production. 
The mound of Newgrange sits on a hill, overlooking the River Boyne. It is one of three major stone built burial monuments in an area known as Brú na Bóinne - 'the Palace of the Boyne' - a large megalithic cemetery complex of 37 tombs, standing stones, henges, and evidence of other sites not yet excavated. The other two burial mounds are Knowth to the west and Dowth just east of Newgrange.

Standing Stone
Decorated Kerbstone
The people who constructed these enormous tombs were settlers and farmers of the late stone age. They had the engineering skills to organise and carry out such a complex building project with simple tools made out of stone, wood and antlers. It must have taken hundreds of workers decades to finish. They understood the movements of the stars and the sun and decorated their monuments with symbolic art. With hundreds of ornamented stones, Brú na Bóinne represents the finest collection of abstract neolithic rock art in Europe.
These monuments were built around 3200 BC, making them a mere 1,000 years older than Stonehenge in England and 500 years older than the pyramids in Egypt. In 1993 Brú na Bóinne was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Symbolic spiral carvings
'Woodhenge' in Knowth
Archaeological excavations suggest that around 2000 BC Newgrange was not used as a burial tomb any longer, but was still used as a ceremonial site. The cairn might have collapsed by then and blocked off the entrance to the burial chamber.
The Celts around 500 BC thought of Newgrange as the home of the Tuatha Dé Danann, namely their god Dagda Mór and his son Oengus. In Celtic Mythology Newgrange is called 'Síd im Brug', which means 'the Fairy Mound of the Brú'.
The site got its modern name after the monks of nearby Mellifont Abbey bought the surrounding townland in 1142, turning it into a 'grange' - an outlying farm - thus the name 'Newgrange'.
In 1699 the Newgrange lands were acquired by Dublin merchant Charles Campell, who stumbled upon the overgrown doorway to the great tomb by accident. In the following centuries a few reported excavations took place, but it wasn't until the 1960s when Professor M.J. O'Kelly and his team undertook the impossible task to restore the original pre-historic monument. 

Unexcavated burial mound

Today Newgrange and the entire Brú na Bóinne complex is managed by the Office of Public Works and can be accessed through the Visitor Centre. Entry to the burial chamber is restricted to a certain number of visitors per day, so it's a good idea to get there early, best before noon.  
An annual lottery decides who will be lucky enough to witness the flooding light effect on the morning of the winter solstice inside the chamber - provided of course, the Irish midwinter sunrise isn't obscured by clouds!

Find out more about Newgrange and Brú na Bóinne here: http://www.newgrange.com/


The River Boyne


deutsche Version:

Jedes Jahr bei Sonnenaufgang am Tag der Winter Sonnenwende fällt ein Sonnenstrahl durch die schmale Öffnung über dem Grabportal und wandert durch den Tunnel nach innen, um die Grabkammer für ein paar kostbare Minuten zu erleuchten.

 


Der erste Mensch, der dieses Spektakel in der Moderne beobachten durfte, war der Archäologe Michael J. O'Kelly.  Am Morgen des 21. Dezember 1967 stand er in der dunklen Grabkammer, wartete auf den Sonnenaufgang und fragte sich was wohl gleich passieren würde. Während seiner Ausgrabungen hatte er des öfteren Geschichten von den Einheimischen gehört, die von alten Traditionen zum Sonnenaufgang erzählten. Aber seit Jahrtausenden hatte niemand einen Sonnenaufgang im Inneren der Grabkammer von Newgrange erlebt.  Also entschloß sich Professor O'Kelly das am Morgen der Winter Sonnenwende auszuprobieren.
Um exakt 8:58 GMT an jenem Morgen schoß ein Lichtstrahl durch den schmalen Schlitz über dem Eingangsportal.  Der Strahl wurde breiter und wanderte den 19 Meter langen, leicht ansteigenden Gang entlang, bis er die Grabkammer erreichte. "Das Grab wurde dramatisch erleuchtet und mehrere Details der seitlichen und hinteren Nischen konnten klar erkannt werden." (M.J. O'Kelly)
Einige Minuten später wurde der Strahl dünner und um 9:15 Uhr verschwand das Licht gänzlich. Professor O'Kelly war wieder von totaler Dunkelheit umgeben. 
The entrance with the roofbox
Dieses Phänomen bewies, daß das Ganggrab von Newgrange das älterste noch bestehende, auf die Sonne ausgerichtete Bauwerk der Welt war. Die Ausrichtung ist zu genau um zufällig zu sein, die Erbauer von Newgrange scheinen den Zyklen der Sonne große Beachtung geschenkt zu haben, was bedeutete die wichtigsten Wendepunkte des Jahres zu markieren, um die Nahrungsproduktion kontrollieren zu können. 
Das Grab von Newgrange liegt auf einem Hügel oberhalb des Flußes Boyne. Es ist eines von drei Großsteingräbern in dem Gebiet bekannt als 'Brú na Bóinne' - 'der Palast am Boyne' - ein riesiger Friedhofskomplex der Megalithkultur, bestehend aus insgesamt 37 Hügelgräbern, Menhire, Steinkreisen und Anzeichen anderer Überreste, die noch nicht ausgegraben wurden. Die zwei anderen Großsteingräber sind Knowth westlich und Dowth östlich von Newgrange gelegen. 
Die Menschen, die diese enormen Gräber errichtet haben, waren Siedler und Bauern der späten Steinzeit. Sie hatten das technische Wissen ein derart komplexes Bauwerk zu organisieren und mit den einfachsten Werkzeugen aus Stein, Holz und Geweihen durchzuführen. Hunderte Arbeiter müssen Jahrzehnte daran gearbeitet haben. Sie verstanden die Bewegungen der Himmelskörper und der Sonne und verzierten ihre Bauwerke mit symbolischer Kunst. Mit hunderten gravierten Steinen repräsentiert Brú na Bóinne die erlesenste Sammlung von abstrakter jungsteinzeitlicher Kunst in Europa.
Diese Monumente wurden um 3200 v. Chr. erbaut, gute 1000 Jahre früher als Stonehenge in England und 500 Jahre früher als die Pyramiden in Ägypten. Im Jahr 1993 wurde Brú na Bóinne zum UNESCO Weltkulturerbe ernannt.




Archäologische Ausgrabungen lassen vermuten, daß Newgrange um 2000 v. Chr. nicht mehr als Grabstätte Verwendung fand, aber noch ein Ort für Zeremonien war. Das Hügelgrab war zu dem Zeitpunkt möglicherweise kollabiert und der Eingang zur Grabkammer blockiert. 
Die Kelten um 500 v. Chr. sahen in Newgrange das Zuhause der Götter Tuatha Dé Danann, insbesondere des Gottes Dagda Mór und seines Sohnes Oengus. In der keltischen Mythologie heißt der Platz 'Síd im Brug', was soviel wie der 'Feenhügel von Brú' bedeutet. 
Der Ort bekam seinen modernen Namen als die Mönche des nahen Mellifont Klosters die Ländereien anno 1142 aufkauften und ein 'grange' - englisch für 'entlegenes Gehöft' - anlegten, daher der Name 'Newgrange'. 
Im Jahr 1699 wurden die Ländereien um Newgrange vom Dubliner Kaufmann Charles Campell erworben, der durch Zufall den überwachsenen Eingang der Grabkammer fand. In den folgenden Jahrhunderten gab es vereinzelt Berichte über Ausgrabungen, aber erst in den 1960er Jahren nahm  Professor M.J. O'Kelly und sein Team das unmögliche Unterfangen in Angriff, die prähistorischen Bauwerke frei zu legen und zu restaurieren.


Burial mound in Knowth

Heute wird Newgrange und der gesamte Brú na Bóinne Komplex vom Office of Public Works verwaltet und kann durch das Besucherzentrum besichtigt werden. Der Zutritt zur Grabkammer ist streng geregelt und auf eine bestimmte Besucheranzahl pro Tag begrenzt. Man sollte also vor Mittag kommen, wenn man das Innere des Grabes sehen will. 
Jedes Jahr entscheidet eine Lotterie darüber wer den Lichteffekt in der Grabkammer am Morgen der Winter-Sonnenwende miterleben darf - vorausgesetzt natürlich der irische Winter Sonnenaufgang wird nicht durch Wolken verdeckt!

Hier gibts mehr Information über Newgrange: http://www.newgrange.com/





.

No comments:

Post a comment