27 Oct 2016

Magical Places: The Hermitage at Tollymore Forest Park, Co. Down

Hidden in the depths of Tollymore Forest at the foot of the Mourne Mountains sits a peculiar little man-made structure on the edge of a gorge above the Shimna River: the so-called "Hermitage" is one of the strangest buildings in Ireland.



(scroll down for german version)

Tollymore Forest

When you follow the Shimna River up through the forest you will eventually stumble across this strange structure built into the side of the river gorge. You might not recognise it immediately, because it blends in perfectly with the surrounding rocks and trees. It sits there almost camouflaged atop the narrow ravine.
On closer look the little beehive roofs and crenellated walls become visible through the foliage - and it is quite a sight to behold! It looks like a fairy dwelling straight out of a fantasy novel. Even though the building feels weirdly out of place in the middle of a forest, it also seems to belong just there, almost as if it has been here for eternity. 



The "Hermitage" was built in 1777 by James Hamilton, the 2nd Earl of Clanbrassil. He built it in remembrance of his friend John Montagu, the Marques of Monthermer, who died in 1770 at the age of 35. 



Commemorative plaque
The Hermitage was not intended as some sort of cell for anchorite monks, instead it was meant to serve as a recreational shelter in the middle of the forest for the lady gentry. From here they could watch their gentlemen friends fish for salmon in the river gorge below. 






The Hamilton family hails from the nearby Lecale peninsula and acquired land in County Down in the 1660s from the Anglo-Norman Magennis family. They remained owners of Tollymore Forest and the surrounding lands until 1798 when it passed to the Earls of Roden through marriage. Until the first half of the 20th century the forest was mostly enjoyed by Anglo-Irish gentry and their entourage. Many noted poets and writers were invited to stroll through the woods and let themselves be inspired by the beauty of nature and the many odd follies. The most famous being C.S. Lewis, who dreamt up the realm of Narnia in these forests and the wilderness of the Mourne Mountains. A water fountain with a stone lion inside the park is said to be the inspiration for Aslan from the novel. 





The Earls of Clanbrassil in particular had a weakness for building gothic curiosities inside their park - there are many quirky structures scattered throughout the forest. There are the barbican entrance gates, a barn that looks like a church (complete with steeple, bells and sundial), a stone chair engraved with Alexander Pope's poetry, an obelisk, many decorated stone bridges and the enchanted Hermitage. 

The Barbican Gate

Foley Bridge

Stepping stones across the river

Apart from the recreational amenities, the estate was also used for forestry, there used to be at least five saw mills along the banks of the Shimna River. In 1941 the Roden family sold the estate to the Ministry of Agriculture and on 2 June 1955 Tollymore Forest was officially opened to the public, making it the first state forest park in Northern Ireland.

Because of its enthralling and haunting beauty the woodland was used as a filming location for the fantasy series "Game of Thrones" and the spooky film "Dracula Untold".
But of course the forest also boasts a real ghost - local lore tells of a creature known as the "Blue Lady" whose favourite "haunt" - you guessed it! - is the forlorn "Hermitage" deep inside the forest...


german version:

Versteckt in den Tiefen des Tollymore Waldes am Fuße der Mourne Berge liegt ein seltsames von Menschenhand geschaffenes Gebilde am Rande einer Schlucht über dem Shimna Fluß: die sogenannte "Einsiedelei"- eines der seltsamsten Gebäude Irlands.

 


Wenn man dem Flußverlauf des Shimnas durch den Wald folgt, stoßt man bald auf dieses eigenartige Gebäude, hineingebaut in die Steilwand einer Felsenschlucht. Zuerst kann man es kaum erkennen, weil es sich so gut den umliegenden Felsen und Bäume anpasst. Es sitzt da fast perfekt getarnt über der schmalen Klamm.
Bei genauerem Hinsehen erkennt man die bienenkorbförmigen Gewölbe und zinnenartigen Mauern durchs Blätterdach - und was für ein Anblick! Es sieht aus wie die Behausung von Waldfeen direkt aus einem Fantasy Roman! Obwohl das Gebilde seltsam fehl am Platz hier mitten im Wald wirkt, scheint es doch auch wiederum genau hierher zu gehören, beinahe als wäre es schon immer hier gewesen. 



Die "Einsiedelei" wurde tatsächlich im Jahre 1777 von James Hamilton, dem 2. Earl von Clanbrassil erbaut. Er ließ es im Gedenken an seinen Freund John Montagu, dem Marques von Monthermer errichten, der 1770 nur 35jährig verstarb. 
Die Einsiedelei war nicht als Eremitage für klausierende Mönche gedacht, vielmehr sollte es als Raststätte und Unterstand für landadelige Damen dienen, die von hier aus ihren noblen Begleitern beim Lachsfischen in der Schlucht zusehen konnten. 



Die Hamilton Familie stammte von der nahen Lecale Halbinsel und erwarb Ländereien von der anglo-normanischen Familie Magennis in der Grafschaft Down in den 1660iger Jahren. Sie blieben im Besitzer des Tollymore Waldes und den umliegenden Ländereien bis 1798 als sie durch Heirat in den Besitz der Earls von Roden gelangten. Bis zur ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts war der Wald dem anglo-irischen Landadel und ihren Gästen vorbehalten.
Viele bekannte Poeten und Schriftsteller wurden eingeladen durch die Wälder zu streifen und sich von der Schönheit der Natur und den sonderbaren dekorativen Gebäuden inspirieren zu lassen. Der berühmteste davon was C.S. Lewis, der sich in diesen Wäldern und der Wildnis der Mourne Berge das Reich Narnia erträumt hat. Ein Springbrunnen mit einem Steinlöwen im Park war angeblich die Inspiration für Aslan aus der Romanreihe.

 
Die Earls von Clanbrassil sollen ein ganz besonderes Fáible für kuriose neugotische Bauwerke gehabt haben - im Park finden sich einige verschrobene Gebäude, die im ganzen Wald verstreut zu finden sind. Es gibt Wachtürme als Eingangstore, eine Scheune, die aussieht wie eine Kirche (inklusive Kirchturm, Glocken und Sonnenuhr), ein Stuhl aus Stein mit eingraviertem Alexander Pope Gedicht, ein Obelisk, mehrere verzierte Steinbrücken und die verwunschene "Einsiedelei".


Abgesehen von diesen Freizeitvergnügungen wurde der Wald auch zur Forstwirtschaft genutzt, es gab einst mindestens fünf Sägemühlen entlang des Shimna Flusses. Im Jahre 1941 verkaufte die Roden Familie das Anwesen an das Agrarministerium und am 2. Juni 1955 öffnete der Tollymore Forest Park offiziell seine Tore für die Öffentlichkeit, und zwar als erster staatlicher Nationalpark Nord-Irlands.
Wegen seiner verzauberten und gespenstigen Schönheit diente der Wald als Drehort für die Fantasy Serie "Game of Thrones" und den Gruselfilm "Dracula Untold".
Aber selbstverständlich kann der Wald auch mit seinem eigenen echten Geist aufwarten - der Sage nach spukt ein Wesen names "Blaue Lady" hier herum und ihr Lieblingsplatz ist - jawohl ihr habt es erraten! - die verwunschene "Einsiedelei" tief im Wald...

















2 comments:

  1. I would love to explore the Shimna River and the Hermitage with a few companions. Is it open to the public?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly is - it's inside Tollymore Forest Park, which is open all year round from 10am to sunset. Have fun exploring!

      Delete