17 Jan 2017

Boyle Abbey, Co. Roscommon

Boyle Abbey in County Roscommon is one of the most impressive Cistercian monastery ruins in Ireland with quite a turbulent history.



(scroll down for german version)

The first Cistercian monks came to Ireland from France in the mid-12th century and founded a monastery at Mellifont in County Louth. A few years later they where looking for land west of the Shannon to branch out and built new houses. It took three attempts before they found a suitable place and were able to acquire land. In AD 1161 they founded their new abbey in Connacht at the banks of the river Boyle under the patronage of the Mac Dermotts, the ruling family of the area. They built their abbey on the site of an old celtic monastery called Ath-na-Laragh, which is believed to have been founded by none other than St. Patrick himself, in the 5th century.




It took almost sixty years to built, the final part of the abbey was completed in AD 1220. One reason might have been that the construction work was sometimes abruptly interrupted: In 1202 the Anglo-Norman knight William de Burgh, self proclaimed "Lord of Connacht" attacked the half-finished abbey and plundered it for three days. The Annals of Lough Cé tell of the devastation: "no structure in the monastery was left without breaking and burning...no part of the buildings of the entire monastery was allowed to the monks and brothers.".

The River Boyle
In 1227 the Abbot of Boyle took part in the "Conspiracy of Mellifont", a power-struggle between the Anglo-Norman Cistercian General chapter and the Irish abbeys. The Irish abbots lost out and were all removed and replaced. All the Cistercian abbeys in Ireland came under direct control of  the mother house in Clairvaux in France.


When Henry VIII passed the Act of Supremacy in 1534 all monasteries were dispossessed. Because of its relative remoteness it took longer until these measures reached Boyle, the abbey managed to survive for another fifty years. In 1584 the abbot of Boyle was asked to renounce his allegiance to Rome, he refused and was executed. 

The glass corridor
During the Tudor Conquest of Ireland the abbey was converted into military barracks and many of the monastic buildings were transformed to house the English soldiers. A defensive gatehouse was built were once the lay brothers quarters were, the cloister arcades were torn down, the lawn inside the cloister garth was removed and the surface cobbled, the cobbling is still there below the grass today. 
 During the subsequent Nine Year War the abbey-come-garrison was besieged by Hugh O'Neill in his quest to drive the English out of Ireland. He and the other rebel chieftains failed and fled to Spain in what became known as the "Flight of the Earls". 

The gatehouse
The view from the river
The Abbey of  Boyle was given to Sir John King and remained in his family until 1892, when it was declared a National Monument and was handed over to the Commissioners of Public Works, and later the Office of Public Works.
Extensive restoration work was carried out at the abbey from 2007 to 2011, where a glass corridor was built along the north aisle wall to protect the unique blend of Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
At the back of the abbey there are some curious buildings - three little stone houses, uniquely built against the monastery wall - today they are self-catering cottages you might want to rent! 

The cottage built against the monastery wall




german version:

Boyle Abbey in der Grafschaft Roscommon ist eine der beeindruckensten Zisterzienser Klosterruinen Irlands mit einer ziemlich turbulenten Geschichte. 




Die ersten Zisterziensermönche kamen Mitte des 12. Jhdts von Frankreich nach Irland und gründeten ein Kloster in Mellifont in der Grafschaft Louth. Einige Jahre später suchten sie Grundstücke westlich des Shannons um neue Ordenshäuser zu gründen. Nach drei Versuchen fanden sie einen geeigneten Ort und konnten Ländereien erwerben. Anno 1161 gründeten sie ihre neue Abtei in Connacht an den Ufern des Boyle Flusses mit Unterstützung der MacDermotts, der herrschenden Familie der Region. Sie erbauten ihre Abtei am Standort eines frühen irischen Klosters, das angeblich von keinem geringerem als dem Hl. Patrick persönlich hier im 5. Jhdt. gegründet wurde.
 

Es dauerte fast sechzig Jahre die Abtei zu bauen, die letzten Teile des Klosters wurden im Jahre 1220 fertig gestellt. Unter anderem auch deshalb weil die Bauarbeiten ab und zu abrupt unterbrochen wurden: Im Jahr 1202 attakierte der anglo-normannische Ritter William de Burgh, selbsternannter "Lord über Connacht" das halb fertige Kloster und plüderte es drei Tage lang. Die Annalen des Lough Cé erzählen von der Zerstörung: "keine Mauer des Klosters blieb verschont von Bruch und Feuer...kein Teil der Gebäude des gesamten Klosters blieb den Mönchen und Brüdern übrig.".
 


Anno 1227 beteiligte sich der Abt von Boyle an der "Verschwörung von Mellifont", ein Machtkampf zwischen dem anglo-normannischen Zisterzienser Mutterhaus und den Abteien in Irland. Die irischen Äbte verloren und wurden alle entfernt und ersetzt. Alle Zistenzienserklöster in Irland unterstanden von nun ab direkt dem Mutterhaus in Clairvaux in Frankreich. 



Als Heinrich VIII anno 1534 den Suprematsakt verabschiedete, der ihn zum Oberhaupt der englischen Kirche machte, wurden alle Klöster enteignet. Wegen seiner relativen Abgeschiedenheit dauerte es etwas länger bis diese Maßnahme Boyle erreichte, die Abtei schaffte es noch fast fünfzig Jahre weiter zu bestehen. Im Jahre 1584 sollte der Abt von Boyle seiner Treue zur römischen Kirche abschwören, er weigerte sich und wurde in Dublin hingerichtet. 



Während der Tudor Eroberung Irlands wurde die Abtei in eine Militärkaserne umgewandelt und viele der Klostergebäude wurden umgebaut, um die englischen Soldaten unterzubringen. Ein Torhaus wurde erbaut wo einst die Laienbrüder wohnten, die Kreuzgänge wurden niedergerissen, der Rasen des Kreuzganghofes wurde entfernt und der Platz geflastert, die alten Pflastersteine sind sogar heute noch unter dem Rasen vorhanden. 
Während dem darauffolgenden "Neunjährigen Krieg" wurde die Abtei/Kaserne von Hugh O'Neill belagert, als er versuchte die englischen Besatzer aus Irland zu vertreiben. Er und andere rebellierende Clanfürsten scheiterten und mußten nach Spanien flüchten, was als die "Flucht der Fürsten" in die Irische Geschichte einging.



Die Abtei von Boyle wurde an Sir John King übergeben und blieb in seiner Familie bis 1892, als sie zum Nationalen Denkmal ernannt und unter die Obhut der Denkmalkommission, später das Denkmalamt, gestellt wurde. 
Aufwendige Restorationsarbeiten wurden von 2007 bis 2011 ausgeführt, wobei auch ein Glaskorridor entlang des nördlichen Kirchengangs errichtet wurde, der die einzigartige Mixtur aus romanischer und gothischer Bauweise schützen soll. 
An der Rückseite der Abtei gibt es noch eine Kuriosität zu bewundern: Drei kleine cottages wurden direkt an die Klostermauer angebaut, heute sind sie Ferienhäuser, die man mieten kann! 


No comments:

Post a Comment