2 Apr 2017

Magical Places: the Grianán of Aileach, Co. Donegal

The impressive ringfort on top of the hill of Greenan is one of the oldest royal sites in Ireland, its history goes back to the Bronze Age and maybe even further... The structure standing there today is only the reconstructed part of what was once a much larger pre-historic complex on top of this prominent hill.



(scroll down for german version)

This ancient ringfort is located in County Donegal near the border to County Derry on top of the Hill of Greenan. It is visible for miles around.
The fort is surrounded by three, possibly four concentric banks made of earth and stone. It must have been one of the most significant sites in the north-west of Ireland.

The 360 degree commanding view from the hillfort stretches from the Inishowen Peninsula, over Lough Swilly and Lough Foyle to parts of County Tyrone and along the Derry coast.

The name Grianán Aileach translates to the "stone palace of the sunny view".





The fort plays an important part in Irish Mythology: according to the Book of Lecan, the hill was first settled by Dagdha, the king of the Tuatha Dé Danann, who won the second Battle of Moytura against the Formorians. He buried his son Aedh on top of the hill and built a stone cashel around his grave. The chronology of the Annals of the Four Masters puts the construction of the hillfort to 1700 BC. Archaeologists, however, believe it more likely dates to the late Bronze or early Iron Age,




The Greek geographer Claudius Ptolemy marked the site in his famous map of the world from the 2nd century, it is one of only five locations recognised in Hibernia (as Ireland was known to the ancient world).
Archaeologists agree that the hill was a multi-period site, meaning it was used, occupied, expanded and  reconstructed many times throughout the centuries. Artefacts found here include metalwork, stone objects, coins, animal bones, pottery and a sandstone slab with 36 chequered squares, which some believe to be some sort of a gaming board.

Stone built ringforts, known as cashels, were both used as residences and ceremonial sites, for celebrations like seasonal festivals and inaugurations.





Historical sources tell us the fort was occupied by the powerful kings of Aileach, the  Uí Néill dynasty from the 5th to the 12th century. The ringfort was attacked several times, but the worst onslaught happened in 1101 CE, when Muirchertach Ua Briain, King of Munster and Brian Boru`s grandson, invaded Ulster. He destroyed the royal seat of the Uí Neill`s in retaliation of the attack on his palace in Kincora, Co. Clare. He ordered his soldiers to each take one stone of the cashel back with them to Munster, so that it may never be re-built again.




In 1837 the ringfort was reconstructed by Dr. Bernard from Belfast, using the remaining stones from the original structure as well as additional stones gathered from around the area. Further repair work took place in 2001 and 2007.
Today the Grianán is under the care of the OPW and is again used for small ceremonies like cultural festivities. But you don't have to wait for a festival, the ringfort is an impressive site to visit any day of the year!




german version:

Das beeindruckende Ringfort auf dem Hügel von Greenan ist eine der ältesten royalen Anlagen in Irland, seine Geschichte geht zurück bis in die Bronzezeit und vielleicht sogar noch weiter... Das Bauwerk, das heutzutage dort steht ist nur der rekonstruierte Rest einer viel größeren vorgeschichtlichen Anlage auf diesem bedeutenden Hügel.



Dieses alte Ringfort liegt in der Grafschaft Donegal nahe der Grenze zur Grafschaft Derry am Hügel von Greenan. Es ist im Umkreis von Meilen zu sehen.
Das Fort ist von drei, vielleicht sogar vier konzentrischen Wällen aus Erde und Steinen umringt. Es muss einst eine der bedeutendsten Stätten im gesamten Nordwesten Irlands gewesen sein.
Der 360 Grad Panoramablick vom Ringfort reicht über die Halbinsel Inishowen, den Lough Swilly und den Lough Foyle, Teile der Grafschaft Tyrone und entlang der Derry Küste. Der Name Grianán Aileach kann als "Steinpalast mit der sonnigen Aussicht" übersetzt werden.





Das Fort spielt eine wichtige Rolle in der Irischen Mythologie: dem "Buch von Lecan" zufolge wurde der Hügel zuerst von Dagdha, dem König der Tuatha Dé Danann, der die zweite Schlacht von Moytura gegen die Formorier gewonnen hat, besiedelt. Er begrub seinen Sohn Aedh auf diesem Hügel und errichtete eine Ringburg über sein Grab. Die Chronologie der "Annalen der vier Meister" datieren die Errichtung der Hügelburg um 1700 v. Chr. Archäologen sind allerdings eher der Meinung sie stamme aus der späten Bronze-, bzw. frühen Eisenzeit.




Der griechische Geograph Claudius Ptolemäus verzeichnete die Anlage auf seiner berühmten Weltkarte aus dem 2. Jhdt., sie ist nur eine von insgesamt fünf Stätten, die in Hibernia (wie Irland in der antiken Welt genannt wurde) verzeichnet wurden.
Archäologen sind sich einig, dass der Hügel eine Multi-Perioden Anlage war, das heißt sie wurde durch mehrere Jahrhunderte hindurch genutzt, bewohnt, erweitert und umgebaut. Archäologische Funde umfassen Metallarbeiten, Steinobjekte, Münzen, Tierknochen, Tonwaren und eine Sandsteinplatte mit 36 Quadratrastern, von denen manche meinen, es sei eine Art Spielbrett. Ringburgen aus Stein wurden "cashel" genannt und dienten sowohl als Residenz, als auch als Stätte für Zeremonien, wie jahreszeitliche Feste und Inaugurationen.





Historischen Quellen zufolge wurde das Fort vom 5. bis zum 12. Jhdt. von den einflussreichen Königen von Aileach, der Uí Neill Dynastie bewohnt. Die Ringburg wurde einige Male überfallen, aber der schlimmste Angriff passierte im Jahre 1011 n. Chr. als Muirchertach Ua Briain, König von Munster und Brian Borus` Enkel in Ulster einfiel. Er zerstörte den königlichen Sitz der Uí Neills`als Vergeltung für den Überfalls auf seinen Palast in Kincora in der heutigen Grafschaft Clare. Er befiel seinen Soldaten je einen Stein der Ringburg mit zurück nach Munster zu nehmen, damit sie nie wieder aufgebaut werden kann.





Anno 1837 wurde die Ringburg von Dr. Bernard aus Belfast mit den Steinen des Originalbauwerks und zusätzlichen Steinen aus der Umgebung rekonstruiert. Weitere Renovierungsarbeiten fanden im Jahre 2001 und 2007 statt.
Heute wird das Grianán vom OPW verwaltet und es werden wieder kleinere Zeremonien wie Kulturfeste veranstaltet. Aber man muss nicht auf ein Festival warten, das beeindruckende Ringfort ist an jedem Tag des Jahres einen Besuch wert!



1 comment:

  1. yeah we have been there as well it was absolutely stunning and nice to see pictures from you of this amazing site and the story behind it Thank you.... :-) Andl

    ReplyDelete