30 Jul 2014

Magical Places: The secret of the lost town of Jerpoint, Co. Kilkenny

On the banks of the River Nore lie buried the remains of the medieval town of Newtown Jerpoint. The ancient ruins hold an arcane secret: local lore has it that none other than St. Nicholas found his final resting-place inside the small church graveyard here.

 



(scroll down for german version)

Located within the private grounds of Jerpoint Park, the lost town of Newtown Jerpoint has only been re-discovered in recent years by historians and archaeologists. When the current owners Joe and Maeve O'Connell learned about the historic significance of the place, they decided to open the site to the public for the first time in more than 300 years. With the help of the Heritage Council they started to explore the hidden treasures that lay dormant in their backyard for centuries. What they found was truly astounding. 

Sheep grazing among the ruins of the medieval settlement


An entire medieval settlement was discovered, dating back to the late 12th century, complete with its own church, a court house, a tower house and a toll bridge spanning over the River Nore. In 2007 the Heritage Council identified the site as 'exceptionally significant' and a programme for the preservation of the town was put in place. A detailed topographic survey was conducted and revealed a total of 27 burgage plots with dwelling houses, a market place, a corn mill and a woollen mill, a tannery, a brewery and possibly up to 14 taverns. According to the Heritage Council it's "one of Ireland's best surviving examples of a deserted 12th century medieval town".

the topographic picture
Undulations outlining the foundations of houses

The town was built by the Normans in the late 12th century at the strategic junction of the River Nore, the Little Arrigle river and two intersecting roadways. The new town was named after the toll bridge that spanned the river: Jerpoint or 'Nova Villa de Jeriponte' means 'New town at Nore bridge'. 
In its heyday the settlement would have been an important commercial centre and trading place for the Normans. With Jerpoint Abbey just across the Little Arrigle river it was also a significant religious centre and pilgrim destination.

The site of the old toll bridge over the Nore, that gave the town its name
Nearby Jerpoint Abbey
The remains of the woollen mill at the Little Arrigle river

In the middle ages religious relics were big business and the Normans were known to be fervent collectors of saintly remains. 
And this is where the story of Jerpoint gets even more intriguing: local lore spins the tale, passed down from generation to generation, of how the sacred remains of one of the most important and well known Saints of Christianity found their way from faraway Turkey to a rural market town in the south-east of Ireland. 
The relics of St. Nicholas, the 'Wonderworker' and Bishop of Myra, inspiration for the modern day Santa Claus, were brought to the edge of the known medieval christian world to protect them from war and plundering. 
St. Nicholas was born in Greece in 270AD. The philanthropist was known for his generosity and for leaving gifts on the doorsteps of the needy. Soon after his death in 343 AD he was sainted and his tomb in Myra, Turkey became a popular place of pilgrimage. Historical documents confirm that in 1087 St. Nicholas' skeleton was removed from his crypt by crusading knights and parts of it brought to Bari and Venice in Italy for safe keeping.


The ruins of the parish church of St. Nicholas
St. Nicholas church and Jerpoint Abbey

But how did the bones of the Saint end up in a church graveyard in Jerpoint? 
One version tells of two Norman knights who took part in the crusades and on their way back were given the precarious task to safe the relics from Bari and bring them to Ireland, as far away from the war zone as possible.
Another version tells of the Norman family de Frainet from Bari who also owned land in what is today Co. Kilkenny. When they were forced out of Italy, they took the sacred relics with them. They first  moved to Nice and then in 1169 settled in Ireland. 
The bones of St. Nicholas are believed to have been interred at the church in Jerpoint Newtown in about 1200AD.
The tomb slab stone shows the effigy of St. Nicholas with two heads peering over his shoulders. This could either be the two Norman crusaders who brought his remains to Ireland or Christ and the Virgin Mary, whose images were found on similar effigies of St. Nicholas.

The grave slab with the effigy of St. Nicholas
St. Nicholas' tomb
Jerpoint Newtown was deserted in the late 17th century, probably because a new bridge was built elsewhere over the Nore and the town was no longer located at a main through way. The once busy market town fell silent and the secret of the saintly tomb sank into oblivion. 
In the 18th century the estate was acquired by the Hunt family and leased to the Earls of Belmore, who built themselves a hunting lodge overlooking the remains of the once vibrant medieval town.
In 1860 Edward Hunt first started to excavate some of the remains and kept a record of the details he unearthed. The Hunt family built themselves a little private cemetery next to the church, where burial plots date from 1771 to 1975.

Private graveyard of the Hunt family

Today the medieval settlement is being brought back to life, albeit through the lively accounts of Joe O'Connell who offers guided tours around the site. While we walk through the ruins, rubbles and earthen corrugations outlining the foundations of the buildings, Joe and his dog Percy take me on a journey into the past of the once lively Norman town. The place where sheep are grazing today slowly becomes alive with the sounds and smells of medieval times, with boats on the river and merchants selling their goods on the market square. 

Joe O'Connell and dog Percy during the guided tour around the site



The O'Connell's commissioned the artist Uto Hogerzeil to draw a picture of what the town most likely looked like. You can marvel at it on display on the big plaque next to Belmore House.
Apart from Joe's interesting historic guided tours, Jerpoint Park is also a working farm and offers sheep dog presentations, angling on the River Nore, and a tea room at Belmore House.

Have a look at their website for more information on this fascinating place: http://jerpointpark.com/
(Percy, the dog even has his own blog!)

Belmore House
Blogging dog Percy
The tea room at Belmore House




german version:

Am Ufer des Flusses Nore liegen die Überreste der mittelalterlichen Stadt Newtown Jerpoint vergraben. Die alten Ruinen verbergen ein mysteriöses Geheimnis: der Sage nach fand niemand geringerer als der Hl. Nikolaus in dem kleinen Kirchenfriedhof seine letzte Ruhestätte.

 


Die verlorene Stadt Newtown Jerpoint, die erst kürzlich von Historikern und Archäologen wiederentdeckt wurde, liegt auf dem Privatgrundstück namens Jerpoint Park. Als die derzeitigen Besitzer Joe und Maeve O'Connell von der historischen Bedeutung des Ortes erfuhren, entschlossen sie sich diesen Platz - nach über 300 Jahren! - wieder öffentlich zugänglich zu machen. Mit der Hilfe des Heritage Council begannen sie mit der Erforschung der versteckten Schätze, die so viele Jahrhunderte auf ihrem Grundstück schlummerten. Was sie entdeckten war mehr als erstaunlich.


Eine komplette mittelalterliche Siedlung aus dem späten 12. Jahrhundert wurde entdeckt, inklusive Kirche, einem Gerichtsgebäude, einem Wohnturm und einer Mautbrücke über den Fluß Nore. Im Jahre 2007 stufte das Heritage Council die Anlage als "außergewöhnlich bedeutend" ein und erstellte ein Programm zur Erhaltung der Stadt. Eine detaillierte topographische Untersuchung wurde vorgenommen und man entdeckte insgesamt 27 abgegrenzte Grundstücke mit Behausungen, einen Marktplatz, eine Getreidemühle und eine Textilmühle, eine Gerberei, eine Brauerei und bis zu 14 Tavernen. Laut Heritage Council ist Jerpoint "eines der besterhaltenen Beispiele einer verlassenen mittelalterlichen Stadt aus dem 12. Jahrhundert". 

The River Nore
 Die Stadt wurde Ende des 12. Jhdt. von den Normannen am strategisch wichtigen Knotenpunkt der Flüsse Nore und Little Arrigle und an der Kreuzung zweier Strassen gegründet. Diese neue Stadt wurde nach der Maut-Brücke über den Fluß Nore benannt - Jerpoint, bzw. "Nova Villa de Jeriponte" heißt  'Neue Stadt an der Brücke über den Nore'. 
In seiner Hochblüte war die Siedlung ein wichtiger Wirtschaftsstandort und Handelsplatz für die Normannen. Mit der Jerpoint Abtei am gegenüber liegenden Ufer des Arrigle Flußes war die Stadt auch ein bedeutendes religiöses Zentrum und eine Pilgerstätte.





Im Mittelalter waren religiöse Reliquien ein großes Geschäft und die Normannen waren für ihren Sammeleifer von heiligen Überresten bekannt. 
Und hier wird die Geschichte von Jerpoint noch faszinierender: die Sage, weitergegeben von Generation zu Generation, erzählt wie die heiligen Reliquien eines der bekanntesten und wichtigsten Heiligen der Christenheit den Weg von der fernen Türkei in eine Marktgemeinde im Südosten Irlands fand. 
Die Überreste vom Hl. Nikolaus, dem "Wunderwirker" und Bischof von Myra, Inspiration für den heutigen Nikolaus (und im anglo-amerikanischen Raum für den Weihnachtsmann Santa Claus) wurden an den Rand der damals bekannten mittelalterlichen christlichen Welt gebracht, um sie vor Krieg und Diebstahl zu schützen.
Der Hl. Nikolaus wurde im Jahr 270 in Griechenland geboren. Der Menschenfreund war bekannt für seine Großzügigkeit und dafür Gaben an den Türen Bedürftiger zu hinterlegen. Schon kurz nach seinem Tod am 6. Dezember 343 wurde er heilig gesprochen und seine Gruft in Myra wurde zu einer beliebten Pilgerstätte. Es ist historisch belegt, daß die Gebeine des Heiligen anno 1087 von Kreuzrittern aus der Gruft entfernt und Teile davon nach Bari und nach Venedig gebracht wurden. 



Aber wie sind die Knochen des Heiligen im Kirchenfriedhof in Jerpoint gelandet?
Eine Version besagt, daß zwei normannische Ritter auf ihrer Rückreise vom Kreuzzug den prekären Auftrag bekamen, die Reliquien von Bari nach Irland in Sicherheit zu bringen - so weit aus dem Kriegsgebiet weg wie damals möglich. 
Eine andere Version erzählt von der normannischen Familie namens de Frainet aus Bari, die auch über Ländereien in der heutigen Grafschaft Kilkenny verfügte. Als sie aus Italien flüchten mußten, nahmen sie die Reliquien mit, gingen zunächst nach Nizza und ließen sich schließlich anno 1169 in Irland nieder. 
Die Gebeine des Hl. Nikolaus wurden ca. im Jahre 1200 in der Kirche in Jerpoint beigesetzt. Die Grabplatte der Gruft zeigt ein Abbild des Hl. Nikolaus mit zwei Köpfen, die über seine Schultern blicken. Dabei handelt es sich entweder um die zwei normannischen Kreuzritter, die seine sterblichen Überreste nach Irland gebracht haben, oder aber um Christus und die Jungfrau Maria, die auch auf anderen Bildnissen von Nikolaus gefunden wurden.





Jerpoint Newtown wurde im späten 17. Jhdt. aufgegeben, wahrscheinlich weil an anderer Stelle eine neue Brücke über den Nore erbaut wurde und die Siedlung dann nicht mehr an einer Hauptverkehrsader lag. Die einst geschäftigte Marktstadt erstummte und das Geheimnis des heiligen Grabes geriet in Vergessenheit. 
Im 18. Jhdt. wurde das Anwesen von der Hunt Familie erworben und an die Earls of Belmore verpachtet, die sich eine Jagdvilla auf der Anhöhe erbauten, die die Ruinen der mittelalterlichen Siedlung überblickt. 
Im Jahre 1860 begann Edward Hunt mit den ersten Ausgrabungen und hielt die Details seiner Funde fest. Die Familie Hunt baute sich neben dem Kirchenfriedhof eine kleine separate Begäbnisstätte, in der sich Gräber von 1771 bis 1975 finden. 






Heute wird die mittelalterliche Siedlung erneut zum Leben erweckt, wenn auch nur durch Joe O'Connell's lebhafte Erzählungen, der geführte Touren durch die Anlage anbietet. Während wir durch die Ruinen, Steinhaufen und Erdwälle, die die Fundamente der Gebäude erkennen lassen spazieren, nehmen Joe und sein Hund Percy mich mit auf eine Reise in die Vergangenheit der einst pulsierenden normannischen Stadt. Dort wo heute Schafe weiden, erwachen langsam Geräusche und Gerüche des Mittelalters, Schiffe am Fluß und Händler, die ihre Waren am Marktplatz  feil bieten. 



Die O'Connells beauftragten den Künstler Uto Hogerzeil eine Zeichnung der Stadt anzufertigen, wie sie damals wohl am ehesten ausgesehen hat. Das Ergebnis ist auf einer großen Tafel neben dem Belmore House zu bewundern. 

Abgesehen von den historischen Führungen, ist Jerpoint Park auch ein Bauernhof und zeigt Präsentationen von Hüterhunden, bietet Angeln am Nore an und hat auch einen kleinen Tea Room im Belmore House.

Für weitere Infos über diesen faszinierenden Platz ist hier der link zur Webseite: http://jerpointpark.com/
(Percy, der Hund hat sogar seinen eigenen blog!)

Percy keeping watch over the geese


No comments:

Post a comment