18 Aug 2014

Along the Wild Atlantic Way: Banba's Crown, Malin Head, Co. Donegal

Banba's Crown, named after the mythological patron goddess of Ireland, at the tip of Malin Head marks the most northerly point on the irish mainland. The rugged coast is rich in wildlife, has an intriguing maritime history and offers some of the most dramatic panoramas along the epic Wild Atlantic Way.

 

(scroll down for german version)


This northernmost point of the Inishowen peninsula and the island of Ireland is named after Banba, the goddess of the Tuatha de Danann, the mythological tribe who lived in Ireland in ancient times. Banba and her sisters Ériu and Fódla became the patron goddesses representing the sovereignty and the spirit of Ireland.

Malin Head, looking towards Pollan Bay

The Wild Atlantic Way leading up to Banba's Crown

With some of the most hazardous waters along Ireland's coast, Malin Head has a rich history of naval communication.
In 1804 the first naval signal station was put in place consisting of a signal mast and a small dwelling hut. Back then a signalling system with balls and flags was used.
To help defend against a possible french invasion during the Napoleonic wars, the British Admirality built  signal towers all along their coastlines. In Ireland, a chain of 81 towers was built as part of this defence system. These towers were meant to be 'defensible guardhouses' as well as lookout posts and signal stations, transmitting messages from one tower to the next.
The tower at Malin Head was built in 1805 and was one of 12 defensive structures along the Donegal coast, all of them about 5 to 15 miles apart from one another.
The towers were usually two stories high and were built without a door on ground level, instead the entrance was on the first floor, only accessible by ladder. In addition each of the towers was equipped with projective machicolations and musket loops.

Ireland's most northerly building - the Signal Tower at Banba's Crown

Treacherous waters

After Napoleon's defeat at Trafalgar half of the defensive towers along the irish coast were abandoned. The tower at Malin Head was converted into a guard house and a signal port station.
In 1870 the marine insurance company Lloyds of London acquired the station and built a semaphore flag signalling mast and building next to the tower. They collected weather reports and transmitted them to their ships. The small building next to the tower still stands.

The remains of the Signal Tower and the Semaphore building

The view towards Ballihillin Strand

With the onset of wireless radio communication a 36.5 metres high Marconi telegraph mast was erected at Malin Head in 1901. For the next few years both systems - the Marconi wireless and the semaphore signals - were used, until gradually all ships were equipped with the new radio system. The old Napoleonic tower was converted into the Marconi wireless station and a new entrance door was built on ground level.
In 1909 the post office officially took over the wireless station.


After Ireland gained its Independence, the British abandoned the station.
During World War II the Irish Defense Forces built 82 lookout-posts along the irish shore from Co. Louth to Co. Donegal, many of them next to the remains of the old Napoleonic signal towers. Those LOP's as they became to be known, were all identical, because they were all built using pre-cast concrete blocks. 
Lookout post number 80 stands on Malin Head, right next to the tower.
The soldiers serving at these coastal observation posts had to report every activity on sea and air to Irish Military Intelligence. Many of these LOP's still stand today, and although they're not particularly pretty to look at, they serve as a stark reminder of times of war. 


The Signal Tower and the LOP

Another remainder of war times is the large inscription on the bare rock underneath the tower at Malin Head: the letters laid out in stones and white paint spell out 'ÈIRE' and 'DONEGAL'. They served as a navigational marker during WW2 to alert pilots that they are entering Irish airspace. The Irish State was neutral during the war, but Northern Ireland as part of the UK, was not. Despite its neutrality, the Irish State was hit in several german air raids. These 'Éire neutrality markers' were laid out at all strategic LOP's to make pilots aware that they are in fact flying over Ireland. To make navigation easier for allied pilots the relevant number of the LOP was added to some of the signs. 
Today only a few of these markers survive, most of them succumbed to the elements. In places like Malin Head where the marker is still in good condition and easily legible it has become a tradition for visitors to add their names in stones next to the sign.

The 'Èire' markers


Find out more about Malin Head here:
http://www.malinhead.net/

For more information on the LOP's have a look at this website:
http://www.lookoutpost.com/


Ireland's most northerly Curiosity shop at Malin Head


Banba's Crown, benannt nach der mythologischen Schutzgöttin Irlands, auf Malin Head markiert den nördlichste Punkt des irischen Festlandes. Die schroffe Küstenlandschaft ist reich an Flora und Fauna, hat eine interessante maritime Geschichte und bietet einige der dramatischsten Aussichten entlang des berühmten Wild Atlantic Way.

 


Dieser nördlichste Punkt der Inishowen Halbinsel und der Insel Irland wurde nach Banba, der Göttin der Tuatha de Danann benannt. Die Tuatha de Danann sind das mythologische Volk, das vor langer Zeit in Irland lebte. Banba und ihre Schwestern Èriu und Fódla wurden zu Schutzgöttinnen, die die Souverenität und den Geist Irlands repräsentieren.





Die Gewässer vor Malin Head zählen zu den gefährlichsten entlang Irlands Küste. Malin Head hat deshalb eine lange Geschichte maritimer Kommunikation.
Anno 1804 wurde die erste Marine Signalstation mit einem Signalmast und einer kleinen Unterkunft errichtet. Damals wurde ein Meldesystem mit Bällen und Flaggen verwendet.
Um eine mögliche französische Invasion während der Napoleonischen Kriege abzuwehren, errichtet die britische Admiralität Meldetürme entlang ihrer Küstenabschnitte. In Irland wurde als Teil dieses Abwehrsystems eine Reihe von insgesamt 81 Türmen erbaut. Diese Türme waren nicht nur 'wehrhafte Wachtürme', sondern dienten auch als Beobachtungs- und Signalposten, die Meldungen von einem Turm zum nächsten weitergaben.
Der Turm auf Malin Head wurde 1805 als einer von 12 Verteidigungstürmen im Abstand von 5 bis 15 Meilen entlang der Küste in der Grafschaft Donegal erbaut.
Die Türme hatten meistens zwei Stockwerke und wurden ohne Tür auf Bodenhöhe gebaut, stattdessen befand sich der Eingang im ersten Stock, erreichbar nur mit einer Leiter. Außerdem waren die Türme mit einem Pecherker und Schießscharten ausgerüstet.


The coastal trail along Malin Head

Nach Napoleons Niederlage in der Schlacht von Trafalgar wurden die Hälfte der Wehrtürme entlang der irischen Küste aufgegben und verlassen. Der Turm am Malin Head wurde in einen Marine Aussichtsposten und eine Meldestation umgewandelt. 
Im Jahre 1870 erwarb das Seefahrts-Versicherungshaus "Lloyds of London" die Station und errichtete einen Semaphore Flaggenmast und Unterkünfte neben den Turm. Sie stellten Wettervorhersagen zusammen und meldeten sie an ihre Schiffe weiter. Das kleine Häuschen neben dem Turm steht immer noch.





Als schließlich das Zeitalter der drahtlosen Kommunikation anbrach, wurde 1901 auch auf Malin Head ein 36,5 Meter hoher Marconi Telegraphenmast aufgestellt. In den nächsten Jahren wurde das Marconi Funksystem und die Semaphore Flaggenzeichen parallel verwendet, bis alle Schiffe nach und nach mit dem neuen Funksystemen ausgestattet wurden. Der alte Napoleon Turm wurde in eine Telegraphenstation umgewandelt und ein neuer Eingang wurde auf Bodenhöhe eingebaut.
Anno 1909 wurde die Telegraphenstation offiziell von der königlichen Post übernommen.


Nachdem Irland seine Unabhängigkeit erlangt hatte, gaben die Briten die Station auf.
Während des 2. Weltkrieges errichtete das Irische Militär insgesamt 82 Aussichtsposten entlang der Küste - von der Grafschaft Louth bis zur Grafschaft Donegal. Viele der Posten wurden neben den alten napoleonischen Wehrtürmen errichtet. Dies LOP's, wie sie abgekürzt genannt wurden, waren alle identisch, denn sie wurden alle aus den gleichen genormten zweckmäßigen Betonblöcken zusammengesetzt. 
Der Aussichtsposten Nummer 80 steht auf Malin Head, gleich neben dem Turm.
Die Soldaten, die an diesen Posten Dienst taten, mußten alle Aktivitäten zur See und Luft dem irischen Geheimdienst melden. Viele dieser LOP's stehen auch heute noch, und obwohl sie nicht gerade die schönsten Gebäude sind, dienen sie doch als Mahnmale der Kriegsjahre.
 

The view



Ein anderes Überbleibsel aus Kriegszeiten sind die riesigen Inschriften auf dem Plateau unterhalb des Turms auf Malin Head: Die Buchstaben aus Steinen und weißer Farbe ergeben 'ÈIRE' und 'DONEGAL'. Sie dienten als Navigationszeichen im 2. Weltkrieg, um Piloten zu warnen, daß sie in den irischen Luftraum eintraten. Der irische Staat erklärte sich neutral während des Krieges, aber Nord-Irland als Teil Großbritaniens war das nicht. Trotz Neutralität wurde Irland einigemale von der deutschen Luftwaffe bombardiert. Diese "Èire Neutralitäts Zeichen" wurden an strategisch wichtigen LOP's ausgelegt, um die Piloten darauf hinzuweisen, daß sie sich über Irland befanden. Später wurden an einigen Zeichen die relevanten LOP Nummern hinzugefügt, um den Piloten der Allierten die Navigation zu erleichtern.
Nur eine Handvoll dieser Zeichen haben bis heute überlebt, die meisten sind den Elementen anheim gefallen. An Plätzen wie Malin Head, wo die schrift noch gut lesbar ist,  ist es zur Tradition für Besucher geworden ihren eigenen Namen ebenfalls mit Steinen dazu zu schreiben.



Mehr Infos über Malin Head gibts hier:
http://www.malinhead.net/
Mehr Info über LOP's:



No comments:

Post a comment